Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

More Poem Than Perfume: Green Wood Body Incense Oil, Mermade Magickal Arts

Review by Marla

Lately, as I’ve been sampling more lines by indie American perfumers, I’ve been discovering what might be an actual genre- for now I’ll call them Perfumes of Place. They are not perfumes per se, they are not “pretty”, but they evoke, very clearly, a particular place. In this sense they are truly soulful scents, and have a strong effect on my emotions and the imagery that runs through my brain while I’m wearing them. Olympic Orchids’ Olympic Rainforest is in this category. And now I’ve discovered Green Wood by Katlyn Breene at Mermade Magickal Arts.

I’ve been connected to Katlyn for several years through the incense-making group on Yahoo! . She’s been making marvelous incense in the American style for many years and is quite famous in those circles. (I’m talking REAL incense here, not the dangerous street drugs that are being labeled “bath salts” or “incense”.)  A few years ago, she had the idea to translate her incense into wearable oils. So she wasn’t thinking “perfumes” in the fashion sense. She was going back to the old meaning of perfume, which was of course, intertwined with sacred incense in many parts of the world. She now has a line of this wearable incense.

Green Wood is inspired by Celtic traditions. Fir balsam dominates, underscored by warm labdanum and vetiver, with Omani frankincense to provide piquant counterpoint. Green Wood is really about the ancient forests of the Celtic lands, before the Clearances. It’s amazingly evocative, and even though I’m wearing it in the tropics, I feel like I’m back in Scotland before any English had set foot there. More poem than perfume, and beautiful work!

Greenwood is available for $20 through the Mermade Magickal Arts website:

Painting by Katlyn Breene, photo by Marla Robb

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lemming!
Portia xx

8:33 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah, bigtime lemming! And the price is so reasonable, it's hard not to at least sample. I have a few ml and it's lasting a long time, very rich stuff.
-Marla

8:38 AM EDT  
Blogger ~x~ said...

i'd like to tweet this but you don't have the button set up. i think it's pretty straightforward but i don't remember how to do it. please add it so i can tweet excellent blogs!

3:05 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll send your comment to the Blog Boss, Marina! Thanks for letting us know, x.
-Marla

7:06 AM EDT  
Blogger Tammy said...

Lemming, indeed. And I love body oils, so this is a Must Buy.

10:38 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tammy,
These oils are extremely concentrated, they'll last a long time! A bit like the Indian attars, and Arabic traditional perfumes.
-Marla

1:46 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Sounds amazing ,and anything green and "foresty" gets my attention!

6:34 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flora,
It's not so much a perfume about the forest, as it is the forest itself. When I want to get away from it all, I dab this on, and I'm back in the Alps....
-M

2:22 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home