Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Roses Musk by Montale

By Tom

I blame Kelley for this one; he was the person who turned me on to Montale back in the day.

Most people know Montale as the house that Aoud built, They are deservedly well known for playing the note like a fine instrument, having done so long before everyone decided that the note was this years fruity-floral. I have and love several of them.

This might have to join them.

Aoud isn't listed as one of the notes, nor is ambergris, so perhaps it's Montale's special blend of musks that give the roses that salty skin bite. The roses are lovely; ripe smelling as if they were just opening to the warm summer sun, the dew still on the petals. These aren't blowsy, big roses; it smells to me like sunbathing in the garden.

It's something I would in real life would never do, but it's very nice to have a scent substitute.

$140 for 50ML at LuckyScent, from whom I got the sample.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Lavanya said...

ooh- this sounds like a must smell- will sniff the next time I'm at scent bar..

Till now I love black aoud, aoud rose petals and white aoud..black aoud might be my favorite! it never fails to hit the spot

12:19 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I like a couple of them; Greyland, Oud Ambre.. well, too many for my wee little bank account,

11:33 AM EDT  
Blogger Tamara*J said...

An absolute favorite in the Montale line! I love them too Tom and have White Aoud, Aoud Queen Roses ,Aoud Rose Petals and Vanille Absolu.
This one is so musky good on your skin and in warm weather it just blooms magnificently.
I always loved Montale for their strength in perfume-to me that's what "real" fragrance is. Something you can smell all around you while you go about your day or carry you into your bed at night. I appreciate soft and wispy as well but when I want heft Montale is what I wear. Roses Musk is gorgeous!

1:52 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First time I smelled Montale perfumes I was shocked. Strong, permeating, in your face compositions. I hated them. I was young (as a perfumista), I didn'tknow.
Now it is a favourite house. Not only for the delicate game with Aoud but also for several of their other fragrances, Patchouli Leaves, Greyland, Vetiver des Sables, Red Vetyver and the amazingly avant garde Sandflowers.
And Black Aoud is the fragrance that has given me the most candid compliment from a child in the Athens metro.

2:19 PM EDT  
Anonymous Aadrshi said...

I'm somehow dissapointed in this one. It opened with a lovely rose and I felt that I might love this, but it changed and turned to this sour rose scent, which I cannot enjoy as much as I cold. I like that this has Montale touch to it (well, of course it has...), but this is not what I expected after the first moments of opening. Too bad, but I can easily understand all the hype about this. It's good. But not THAT good.

8:09 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Tamara-

That's is exactly~

2:42 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

memoryofscent

It took me a while to warm to this line as well..

2:43 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Aadrshi

I'm sorry it went sour on you. I've heard that from other people.

2:44 PM EDT  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Well, well. I have had a sample of this forever and was afraid to try it because, um, I'm sort of afraid of musks. But not musk roses apparently. Wonder if I gave it away...

(Great review Tom, thanks!)

7:29 PM EDT  
Anonymous hisomak said...

I'm somehow dissapointed in this one

11:10 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home