Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Getting Ready For Spring with L’Occitane En Provence


When spring is around the corner, at least in our minds, my home cries out for a good spring time cleaning as well as new scents. Out with winter favorites of Cinnamon and Fir Tree, in with the soft floral and fresh green scents. Since providing the latter is way easier and comes more natural to me the the first, I always start spring with a new round of scents in my home.

Apart from regular trips to the florist to provide me with the real deal, L’Occitane is my first port of call when it comes to affordable but reliably good quality home scents.

I like that the line has an elegant and cohesive look, their products are good quality, they offer a large variety and frequently release new products to keep up the interest without permanently discontinuing old favorites. L’Occitane’s products look high end, but are priced at a comfortable middle range.

In their home scents line L’Occitane offers Candles, Diffusers, Room Sprays, Linen Waters and scented sachets.

Let us start with the candles:

There are two types, candles in a thick glass and ones great for traveling in a hexagonal tin that comes with a lid. The glass candles are usually released to accompany new fragrances. At the moment I am enjoying a Fleur Cherie scented one. A perennial favorite is the Lavender candle, great for spring is also the invigorating Verbena scented candle that lifts a room’s atmosphere as well as my mood with its light-hearted, fresh citrus-herbal scent. The travel tins are really practical and easily taken on short trips. I like that they come in the same range of scents as the diffusers. Spring time favorites are Fig Tree Leaf and Provencal Landscape, both fresh, green fragrances that are uplifting and invoking rolling meadows and trees in bloom.

A diffuser in my bedroom is a must. For the time until it gets actually warm outside, I will try White Flowers, a lovely not too heady but present bouquet of white florals to bring a little spring air into the home.

What is more spring-like than a soft rose fragrance? Roses 4 Reines is a lovely room spray to make you feel like taking a walk in a rose garden, tender, green and dewy, this rose scent is long-lasting but never cloying.

And finally, to promote good sleep (something I perennially get not enough of) I like to use a relaxing linen spray. L’Occitane offers a line called Aromachologie, where the properties of essential oils are harnessed to several effects. The Relaxing Pillow Mist features lime, lavender, tea tree and geranium to achieve a calming and soothing combination.

Both my boys get a spray of this on their beds every evening (the older one demanding it by now!) and I must say the last few nights were not bad at all.

What are your favorite scents to invoke the arrival of spring at home?

Image courtesy of Vintage Ad Browser.

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the candle packaging from L'Occitane, and the lid is handy to keep the fragrance strong and the candle clean.

9:13 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

I need to try Roses 4 Reines!

10:57 AM EST  
Blogger olenska said...

Great review! I like L'Occitane's products and overall aesthetic (even if I sometimes find their in-store SA's a mite aggressive). I must confess, my springtime scent is from another boutique entirely - Aedes de Venustas by Bertrand Duchaufour. If it wasn't so expensive, I'd use it as carpet freshener. :D

10:57 AM EST  
Blogger Koki said...

I've been wearing Montale's White Oud quite a bit the last few months. What I have found is that it layers quite well on me with L'Eau de L'Artisan when I want to green it up, either a little or a lot! A great way to transition into Spring.

11:44 AM EST  
Anonymous Suzanne said...

Your Saturday posts make me realize that I don't do much for my home scentwise, except for candles, and even those I only burn occasionally. But I do love L'Occitane skincare products; I use their shower oil that smells like almonds, which usually makes the whole upstairs of our house smell good in the morning, so I'll have to try one of their home products now. That Roses 4 Reines room spray does sound good!

1:07 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find the lid very practical too, protects the candle from dust and investigative little fingers. ;)

1:45 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a lovely rose scent!

1:46 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luckily I have a very nice and totally unpushy SA at my L'Occitane shop. That is very important for me, pushy salespeople make me stay away! :)
Ah, the Aedes sounds very enticing!

1:49 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Koki,
Layering can be a great way to ease from one season into the next. L'Eau d'Artisan is so refreshing.

1:51 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suzanne,
I have often eyed the Almond line, your comment pushes me to try it finally. :)

1:53 PM EST  
Blogger Tammy said...

After several months of burning my Opium Den candles (and I wish one of y'all would get one and tell me what resin is in it, because I want a perfume just like it) I'll be breaking out my Pacifica candles pretty soon.....their Persian Rose is my favorite, and I also really love their Vietnamese Ylang Ylang French Lavender.

I will add Roses 4 Reines to my list, thank you. I've never tried anything by L'Occitane. I am curious about the Goutal rose candle, and wonder if you have every tried any candles from her line?

I enjoy scenting my home every bit s much as scenting myself, and have really been enjoying these posts, thank you so much!

7:16 PM EST  
Blogger ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Beautiful suggestions! L'Occitane make a great product.

You must check out Pink Flower Scents at www.pinkflowerscents.com (not affiliated). They have the most exhaustive list of scents I've ever seen and their room sprays have wonderful lasting power.

8:03 PM EST  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Hands down Jacinthe by Yves Delorme! I love the wonderful hyacinth scent! Loved this review by the way!!!!!

10:46 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tammy,
I am glad you enjoy the home scent series! :)
I tried several Goutal candles, although not Rose (yet). The ones I have tried I found to be of really good quaity, good throw and longlasting.

3:37 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tamara,
thank you for the suggestion, I never heard of the line, will investigate. ;)

3:39 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth,
Hyacinth scents are the epitome of spring, must try thr Yves Delorme. :)

3:40 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The obvious choice for me is Cote d'Amour. It smells exactly like a breeze blowing through my hometown in early spring (oddly, almost buttery; are there buttery flowers?), but has absolutely no staying power on skin (mine or any friend willing to attempt it). My only use for it has been as a home fragrance, so it does have its (pricey) use.

7:24 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JMBalaya,
so many light scents are just as fleeting as spring itself, it is too bad... :(

8:06 AM EST  
Anonymous Marian said...

I forgot all about my linen spray- a light and breezy lavender! I love how fresh my sheets smell after spraying :-)

11:39 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marian,
I only recently discovered linen spray for myself, it is a lovely way to add freshness an a great scent to daily life. :)

3:37 AM EST  
Anonymous Home Products said...

Nice post, thanks for Share...

4:48 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home