Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Vacuuming Turned Glamorous With Esteban Paris

By Olfactoria

There is really no reason for the prolonged snickering or outright belly laughs that accompanied my announcement to write about cleaning implements. “How would you know about that?” my husband even had the audacity to ask.

Well, I may not be the most dedicated housewife, I may not exactly love to do the cleaning chores around the house, but I know about scents, I know what smells good and I know how to instruct our lovely and very dedicated cleaning lady.

What I want to tell you about today is a very nifty invention – vacuum fragrance!

I didn’t know about the existence of such a thing until a few years ago, when my sister in law gave me some for my birthday. And what a genius invention it is!

You sprinkle one or two teaspoons full of the scented grains, they have a texture like fine sand rather than being too powdery, so no sneezing attacks to fear, on the carpet, or even a wooden floor and hoover them up again. Thereby, while you run the vacuum cleaner, the whole house is scented.

Those machines often emanate a slightly stale at best, at worst an extremely musty odor that is no longer an issue when using a vacuum fragrance.

The best brand to find these little gems is Esteban Paris.

This is a line of home fragrances offering room sprays, diffusers, incense, and candles. In addition they also have a range of sixteen Eaux de Toilettes, which look nice, but which I have have yet to try though.

There are vacuum powders in six lovely fragrances. I like Esprit de Thé, an uplifting and spicy green tea, vetiver and woods blend, Sous les Feuilles, a delightfully green citrus scent with tomato leaf and mossy wood notes, and Teck&Tonka, a soft and warm, ambery cinnamon fragrance with patchouli and tonka adding an earthy and sweet touch. The scents are astoundingly well blended and don’t smell cheap, despite being quite affordable. One little container holds 5 oz. (150g) and costs 14$.

There are three more fragrance varieties I have not yet tested, but names like Terre d´Ocre, Pivoine Imperiale and Ambre sound enticing as well.

Esteban is the only higher end brand I have found that offers Vacuum fragrances, there are several utilitarian brands offering similar granules, but I think the scents go more in the direction of Glade territory. Let us be snobs here, okay?

The existence of such a little luxury like scented grains to hoover up, makes chores much more bearable, fun even. The power of fragrance makes me happy even in such a mundane, yet inevitable setting. And why not use something to lift your spirits when doing things that are unavoidable anyway, you might as well enjoy yourself while doing them.

Okay, enough talk, I am off to clean my carpets…no laughing please!

Image credit: Vintage Ad Browser

Labels: ,

25 Comments:

Blogger tmp00 said...

this is one of those slap-your-forehead-and-wonder-why-you-didn't-think-of-it things, right?

Okay, I'm going off to invent scented Swiffers..

12:32 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

OK, I really have to get some of these! What a great idea!

12:54 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

B., belly laughs were had in the Howe house at your "directing the lovely cleaning lady"! They were affectionate belly laughs, though :)

Matt is the vacuum operator in our house---in fact, for our six year anniversary, I bought him a nice new vacuum! LOL. I think maybe for his birthday, he'll get some fancy vacuuming fragrance!

1:49 AM EST  
Blogger rosarita said...

These sound wonderful and I had no idea such a thing existed outside of "glade territory". Must try!

5:37 AM EST  
Anonymous Koki2 said...

I LOVE to vacuum! At one time I owned 5 different specialty vacuums for my 2500 sq ft house (big belly laughs now, I'm sure). You can be sure I'm going to check this out . . . . Thanks!

8:11 AM EST  
Anonymous Victoria said...

What a great idea! I love Esteban products in general, and this is something interesting to check out. Thank you, B.

8:19 AM EST  
Blogger StyleSpy said...

I have these in Ambre and I really love the way they smell, but I worry about whether the stuff is bad for my cat. Anyone know anything aboutthis?

9:30 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delightful! I'm going to have to hunt some of these down. I'm glad we didn't rip out our carpets yet!

lovethescents

9:41 AM EST  
Anonymous dissed said...

Sounds perfect. Better than my usual scented-oil-or-perfume-on-cotton-ball-vacuum-it-up routine. Hotel Costes is a household vacuum favorite.

9:59 AM EST  
Blogger Carol said...

ooh thank you - I didn't know these existed. The drugstore types make me gag.

10:56 AM EST  
Blogger ScentScelf said...

Okay, I'm going to go low rent--or high natural, depending on your point of view--and say that I've saved dried lavender flowers for this purpose for a long time now. Sprinkle a few on the floor before vacuuming, and PRESTO! smells good.

1:21 PM EST  
Blogger Carol said...

ScentScelf - great idea!

1:30 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, let us know what you find out about those Swiffers ;)

1:54 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flora, I'm glad you like it.

1:57 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dee, The more I hear about Matt the more impressed I am, sounds like the perfect man! :)

1:58 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Esteban is the only "high-end" brand I found that offer vacuum fragrance. I am glad you like it, Rosarita!

2:01 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Koki2 - these seem to be made for you ;) Have fun!

2:04 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are welcome, V! I like Esteban, they have very nice scents.

2:06 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stylespy, sorry I don't know about the cat. I would assume as long as she doesn't eat the granules I think it is fine, the fumes alone are probably nothing to worry about.

2:09 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovethescents - they are available in the Esteban online store. Glad to be of help! ;)

2:11 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perfume on a cotton ball is also a great idea, very customizable ;) I will try that!

2:14 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloody Frida - me too, these are the only ones with high quality scents I have found.

2:17 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scent Self - that is an excellent idea! Not low rent, but genius! :)

2:21 PM EST  
Anonymous Natalie said...

Vacuuming up the needles from a balsam fir Christmas tree is my vacuum scent of choice, but these sound like great options for the rest of the year!

3:28 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a good idea, Natalie, I will remember it for next Christmas!

12:32 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home