Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Monday, January 17, 2011

Tilda Swinton st ScentBar

By Tom

I was lucky enough to be invited to meet Tilda Swinton at ScentBar to celebrate her fragrance, Like This, Both Marina and I were really taken by this little marvel, which manages to have notes of pumpkin, ginger and immortelle but is in no way foodie.

Everyone knows that Ms. Swinton is of course a great actress (she's in town to present at the Golden Globes), what is apparent upon meeting her is that she's a lovely woman, physically and personally. She's tall and willowy, with lovely skin and calm blue eyes and a rather disarming habit of leaning in close when speaking.

She clearly is rightfully proud of her fragrance. She related that she first wore Joy, which was what her grandmother wore. She then wore Penhaligon Bluebell, which I could totally see. She said that she wanted to create a fragrance that was all about her home in Scotland: ginger from baking, pumpkin and carrot from her garden, a bowl of mandarins on the table, and the smell of her puppies paws (lots of people say that puppy paws smell like corn chips, popcorn or raising dough). She said that she wanted something that she could use when she's out of town traveling that would remind her of home. She also let on the next product planned for Like This: a candle. She wants one that will not only waft the scent but highlight some of the smoky, peaty whiskey aspects that are whispered in the scent itself. I asked her if she'd consider reed diffusers as well for those of us who live in wildfire-waiting-to-happen areas. Before we parted company I did have to tell her that I think she's a marvelous actress. Hope I didn't seem like a total goof.

It's so nice to meet someone that you respect as an artist and find an intelligent, warm and delightful person. I'll reiterate what I wrote in my original review: Like This is the best thing to come out of Etat Libre.

Scotland. Got to visit. They produced Ms. Swinton, Alan Cumming and Scotch..

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Meredith said...

I adore Tilda Swinton, she is one of a kind. I loved her (Jil Sander? I forget...) dress on the Golden Globes tonight, though I'm hearing that many people didn't appreciate it. I love her often severe, minimalist style, it's something I've often wished I could pull off. Anyhow, I've tried Like This, and though I desperately wanted it to work on me, it didn't. Much like Tilda's signature style, it's just not meant for me. I love ELdO's Tom of Finland, however, and hope to get a full bottle soon. Thanks for the lovely entry on a day I'm sure you won't forget anytime soon.

1:25 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Carrie-

The skirt was Jil Sander. The shirt I think was from her closet, which fits her down to the ground.

Tom of Finland was sooo close for me but never quite got there. Like This got there.

2:01 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, I envy you! I am not one who usually admires celebrities,but I do admire Tilda Swinton, such grace and poise and talent. I am also totally with you, that Like This is the best to ever come from Etat Libre d´Orange. I just wore it last night :)
Thanks for that lovely post!

4:29 AM EST  
Blogger Kelley said...

I am still haunted by Ms. Swinton's recent movie, "I Am Love". Brilliant. I am embarrassed to say that I haven't tried "Like This". I will have to remedy that.

10:15 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, Tom - what a fun event. I felt like I got too much immortelle from Like This - like it somehow covered up other aspects that I could almost but not quite smell. Either way, I thought it was a good idea and very creative.

We visited Scotland a few years ago - spent 5 days in a cottage on the Isle of Skye and did some other traveling: Lock Ness, day in Edinburgh with a friend, etc. I loved it all - *except* for driving on the left. Yikes.
Debby H.

10:16 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make that Loch Ness. Sheesh. Debby

10:24 AM EST  
Blogger ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

I echo Kelley's comments ... "I Am Love" was brilliant. I've yet to try Like This. Sounds like I should. Thanks for sharing your day Tom. Turning a lovely shade of green here.

12:42 PM EST  
Anonymous Flora said...

Tom, what fun you must have had meeting her! She is quite an original. I have yet to smell "Like This" but I hope to do so soon.

4:24 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

I am a lovely shade of green too! :)

4:29 PM EST  
Anonymous lady jane grey said...

Wow, wow, wow - I adore Tilda S. I'm happy for you, Tom (and envy you a tiny bit). And looking forward to the candle very much.
And yes, you should visit Scotland. I'll go to see my friends there in April again, looking very much forward. Will take Like This with me...

5:39 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

olfactoria-

there are few celebs that I really go gaga over. She's one.

6:56 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Kelley-

It was brilliant. And I wanted that house big-time

6:57 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Debby H-

The fist immortelle fragrance I smelled was AG Sables, so the immortelle bar is pretty high for me. It practically has to be Mrs Butterworths territory before I start drawing away from it.

I don't know if I could get used to driving on the opposite side..

6:59 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

TMH-

I think you would like it!

7:02 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D-

we'd all love to read how you found it!

7:02 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Marina-

I know. I was green that I couldn't go to Bendels a few months ago..

7:03 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

lady jane-

I'm looking forward to the candles as well..

7:04 PM EST  
Blogger Ashleigh said...

That sounds like such a fun event and a great article too. I definitely have to try this frag and get my buns to Scent Bar. Thank you Tom!

1:03 PM EST  
Anonymous March said...

I'm catching up on my perfume-blog reading -- so jealous you met Tilda! Is her skin as incredible up close? And Edinburgh's wonderful, fyi. Really fun to walk around in, good food.

9:06 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home