Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Gardenia Grand Soir by Parfumerie Generale

By Marina

White floral perfumes blossom in heat. There is nothing more summery than berries. Combine the too, and…the result is either, well, yes, a ubiquitous Sephora variety fruity-floral or, if the blending is masterful and materials top notch, a wonderful summer scent. Pierre Guillaume’s recent limited edition offering, Gardenia Grand Soir, is the latter.

On me, it smells of gardenias and blackcurrants. At times, more of blackcurrants than of gardenias. Blackcurrant leaves rubbed in your hands, twigs and not too ripe berries- they are all there, creating a beautifully nostalgic atmosphere of carefree childhood summers. As far as I can see, blackcurrants are not listed among the “official notes”. If you smell them in Gardenia Grand Soir too, let me know. The juiciness and the greenness of the fruity accord lends the florals a bright, somewhat airy quality, which is why I don’t perceive it as a “soir” scent. Because of the very realistic, “just off the branch” quality of the berry smell, I also don’t perceive it as partciularly “grand”. Without a doubt, the scent would dazzle if worn for a dressed up night out, but there is something relaxingly casual and out-doorish about it all the same. A pretty, easy-going gardenia that gardenia-phobic mighty love.

Available at Luckyscent and Perfumerie Generale, $95.00 for 50ml.

Image source, Flair.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger carmencanada /Grain de Musc said...

I didn't get much "grand soir" from it either. Did you catch this small, but to me very disturbing, "burnt hair" note? I also felt there was some tiny bit of something ozonic in there... As I wrote when I reviewed it, I'll need to test this again when it's hot, because I'm not sure I'm getting the full picture.

2:00 AM EDT  
Blogger La Bonne Vivante said...

Hmmm. a fruity white floral that smells good and right? I'm there, at least to try it. Usually I'd run away screaming from this kind of thing, but your review makes it sound quite appealing!

9:18 AM EDT  
Anonymous Flora said...

I happen to adore blackcurrant, perhaps more than most, and of course I love gardenia, I have to try this!

1:10 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I tried this and yes, I got blackcurrant as well, which I loved..

8:45 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't running to try this as I've got a ton of wonderful gardenia fragrances but this blackcurrant note sounds so intriguing! Now I must try it :-)

lovethescents

9:43 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Denyse,
Interesting. Tuberose and Gardenia often have that smoky/burnt-ish smell for me (which I like), but this one didn't.

6:22 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

La Bonne Vivante,
I think it's worth a try. I am decidedly not a fan of fruity florals either.

6:23 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna,
Then you will love love it

6:23 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
Great, so I am not totally cou-cou

6:23 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

lovethescents,
Well I thought as well, what another gardenia can bring to the shelf, so to say. It brought something different.

6:24 AM EDT  
Anonymous Marian said...

My gardenia is in bloom so I've berry much in the mood. Hope I"ll get the chance to try it!

9:24 AM EDT  
Blogger bluegardenia said...

i find it very fruity, powdery, soft, and sweet. nothing like most gardenia fragrances, and certainly nothing like a real gardenia. the bright gardenia notes in the opening only last a few seconds, then yes, it's all blackcurrant! i couldn't figure it out until i read this review.

2:07 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home