Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, March 04, 2010

Grab Bag: Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine

By Tom

This week is the Neiman Marcus Beauty Event, which means that I make my semi-annual trek to buy Kiehl's. While always telling myself that I'm not going to bother to try to get to the magic number N-M wants to to plunk down for a bag with samples, I always seem to get within $5 of the price and end up tossing a lip balm in to make the grade.

Back when Clinton was president, the N-M freebie was pretty good; with large sized pots of gook and those legendary 25ML bottles of Goutal Hadrien. Now it's chock full of samples that they should be giving out for the asking. The fragrance samples were the headache-inducing Van Cleef and Arpels Oriens and Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine.

Atelier Cologne has others at Neiman's (where it's a new exclusive line) like Bois Blonde and Oolong Infini, both very nice. Orange Sanguine was one of those openings that elicits a squeal of delight: if you walk into your local market, grab a satsuma and give it a twist you will basically have the first 15 minutes. I love that smell so it made me very happy. You might feel that it's too Tropicana literal. Even though it does add depth later with woods, geranium and jasmine I can't see popping $165 for this.

Isn't Demeter Orange Juice $20?

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Flora said...

Eek - $165 for COLOGNE? Orange, even? Oy.

I am sure it's very nice,but Satsuma mandarins are usually only a couple of bucks per pound - even cheaper than the Demeter juice. ;-)

12:46 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D

I know. There's more to this, but not that much more...

Okay, and I have "regalshit as my verification...

1:33 AM EST  
Anonymous Select Perfume said...

Wow love it. I am using this and its awesome

8:31 AM EST  
Blogger Gator Grad said...

I haven't tried the new Atelier frags yet on skin, but I really liked two of them sprayed on the card. Trefle Pur and Grand Neroli both seem like complex colognes (I'm a big fan of the cologne genre, but I want to smell like more than just citrus, so these seemed like a good potential fit). The Orange Sanguine smelled more straightforward than these two, so it's not my favorite of the line. Trefle Pur in particular smelled really good to me and is on my lemming list.

Reading the literature online, it sounds like they are a very high concentration of oil, so I am okay with paying a bit more-- plus the bottles are 6 or 7 ounces, right? I would have gone with 3oz bottles at half the cost if I was them, but that's just me...

One of my complaints with most of my favorite cologne-style frags is that they just don't last (I really like Dior's Escale a Portofino, Hermes Pamplemousse Rose, etc). So the higher concentration makes the price worth it, at least to me.

Plus, those darn Demeters are just so simple and chemical-y on me.

8:44 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

SP-

I did love the opening, but it was frankly too linear for the price for me.

9:32 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Gator Grad-

I kind of wish they had thrown a couple of the others in the sample bag. I think OS is a nice scent, but pricey.

I think 3oz bottles would have been a better idea.

9:34 AM EST  
Anonymous Marian said...

Orange cologne- no thank you, but you did remind that I haven't yet acquired a bottle "Tango", which I've been ruminating over for the last couple of years. Maybe it's time to put on some heels, download some Piazzolla onto my ipod, and make my way to Bendels while it's still on my mind.

10:07 AM EST  
Blogger Martha said...

I read it as Orange Crush. Enjoyable. Entertaining. But over $100? No, thank you. I'm on an active, increasingly frantic orange quest, but this is not the destination.

1:24 AM EST  
Anonymous david lincoln brooks said...

I seem to get a bright linden-flower note in the drydown.

This stuff is charming, but there was an inexpensive bar soap we used to use in South Africa that this reminds me of...

$165 is pretty steep for anything not an extrait...

2:28 PM EDT  
Anonymous Discount Perfumes said...

Atelier perfume is a new brand of fragrances from luxury prettiness distributors Atelier Cologne North America. They entrance with five scents: Oolang Infini A full-bodied, mysterious concoction, captures blue tea.

3:44 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must admit when i tried a sample of her Orange Sanquine, I fell in love and knew this was my new favorite cologne. I rushed over to my neighborhood Bergdorf Goodman store and purchased it. Well sadly I must have purchased a defective bottle because 2 hours after dabbing some on my neck I broke out in a horrible rash. Please refrain from purchasing these line of colognes. I'll stick to my usual American faves.

1:12 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home