Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, February 11, 2010

On the Lighter Side: Vero Kern onda, kiki and rubj Eau de Parfum

By Tom

At PST both Colombina and I are huge fans of perfumers Vero Kern's fragrances. They're beautiful, rich, full-on fragrances yet they aren't in any way retro or trying-too-hard-to-be-cutting-edge. I had heard that she was working on EdP versions of these signature scents and when she offered to let me try them I jumped at the chance.

In an email she wrote:
The Eaux need a different structure by pointing out more the top notes and less on the base always by still respecting the original style of the Extraits.

I've simplified the whole composition. I also replaced the heavy animal notes by the unique scent of PASSION FRUIT which I love very much and which gives the creations a certain erotic readiness.
onda EdP is recognizably onda, just a little lighter and a little less challenging. For instance onda I don't think I'd wear to an office in full perfume strength, but the lighter concentration I would certainly; the passion fruit is a stroke of genius. It's not too fruity, it just cuts some of the smokiness.


kiki EdP loses nothing in the translation. It's still a gorgeous lavender with the undertone of mango fruitiness now laid with the passionfruit instead of the musk, but still having that wonderful skin scent aspect.

rubj EdP is based upon a scent I wrote of as innocent and shockingly sensual. The combination of the passionfruit and orange blossom conspires to be flat-out sexy with what I think is a bare whiff of cumin: just a touch. Is there "erotic readiness"? You betcha. rubj perfume is the version I'd wear to the office; the EdP is the version I'd wear out on a date- one where I planned to serve desert at home. Personally.

Ms. Kern had asked me whether I thought that these were salable. Whether people would want to buy them. I can think of five bloggers and three female friends who could rock rubj off the top of my head and who would hardly upon receipt of the other to give one a withering look. In other words, I can give her a resounding "YES".

Not available yet. Perhaps if you let her know that you want to see them in stores in the comments and give her an idea of size versus price points they will be at LuckyScent...

Labels: ,

32 Comments:

Blogger Furriner said...

I would definitely be interested if they were on sale in edp!!

12:42 AM EST  
Anonymous Lavanya said...

I can't wait to smell these..I didn't get around to sniffing the extraits, but Kiki and Rubj have been calling my name for the longest time. Thank you, Tom for the reminder to check them out. I can't imagine how Vero has used passionfruit instead of musk and the animal notes while preserving the essence of the scents- but I am dying to find out (by smelling both versions)

2:21 AM EST  
Blogger Tama said...

I would love to try the edps - the only one in extrait I haven't tried is kiki but I love onda. Not so sure about the less smoky aspect with the passion fruit, since that is one aspect I really like, but I would definitely try it. I would love to see smaller sizes (15/30 ml)at affordable price points. The extraits, while gorgeous and desirable, are very hard to justify at $20/$25 per ml. Something along the lines of the Tauer Une Rose Chypree, maybe.

2:34 AM EST  
Blogger waftbyCarol said...

Yes please , an ounce size bottle at any price point . I have been really lemming Rubj for quite some time 1
Vero , you rock !!

5:32 AM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Another vote for smaller sizes; 15 or 30mls sounds great. I don't know what sort of a difference in price we'd be talking about to produce these but $4/ml is my upper limit for an edp.

8:27 AM EST  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Bravo! I suspected Rubj might be the one that really fared well in the EDP. I like it when my florals breathe a bit, especially orange blossom. Really looking forward to trying all three of these.

10:51 AM EST  
Blogger Ducks said...

Oh oh oh! Gosh, I do hope they become available, they sound magnificent. Thank you for the sneak peek, and please keep us apprised of developments.

12:31 PM EST  
Blogger Lorelie said...

I would definitely love to try these in the smaller sizes, especially 15/30. I've not had a sniff, but have read the blogs and am curious, wanting, hoping.

2:09 PM EST  
Anonymous Catherine said...

I am the odd vote, but I would love 100ml bottles, hopefully at $1.25 to $1.75 per ml. Despite my love for beautiful packaging (and, in particular, Vero's gorgeous packaging), I would give that up to be able to afford a large amount of each.

I'm very happy to hear about the edp versions. I shall keep my eyes open for Luckyscent's announcements. This will be my first perfume purchase of the year.

5:05 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Furriner-

Good! (I would too!)

6:31 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Lavanya-

I have to write that I did sort of scratch my head at the idea of passionfruit but it really, really works.

And yes, you need to try the extraits; there's a reason Andy Tauer call Vero Kern his muse..

6:32 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Tama-

great feedback!

I was shocked at how well the passionfruit worked in these..

6:33 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

waftbyCarol-

that would be a great size; maybe a three-pack?

6:34 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

daseined-

the smaller sizes seem to be the consensus!

6:35 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Alyssa-

rubj was really surprising in EdP, in a very good way

6:36 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Ducks-

I shall!

6:36 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Lorelei-

That seems to be the popular opinion size-wise!

6:37 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Catherine-

Maybe she can do both? She has two sizes of extrait..

6:38 PM EST  
Blogger elle said...

I am so psyched to hear about these being released in edp form. I adore all three of them in parfum form (even have back up bottles of both Onda and Kiki because the thought of life w/out them is unthinkable), but I think that I might even prefer Rubj in edp. I am in the smaller size camp. Even if I buy back up bottles, I could never use up a large bottle quickly and always much prefer having a smaller bottle for regular use (yes, I could decant, but for a lot of reasons I really have come to dislike decants). I also think far more people would buy smaller bottles and thus become fellow VK addicts. Addicts like company. :-)

7:30 PM EST  
Blogger Dixie said...

I've been wanting to try the extraits, but Luckyscent doesn't sell samples. I would love to try EDP if I could sample first.

9:39 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle-

I agree with you!

9:51 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Dixie-

The Perfumed Court sells samples of them. Just sayin'

9:54 PM EST  
Blogger Anatole Lebreton said...

yes, I would surely try them and probably fall for Onda. The extrait concentration is so intense for me, I can hardly wear them, so EDP seems the right concentration . also I'm curious about this passionfruit thing. And if prices goes with it...

5:19 AM EST  
Anonymous kathleen said...

I am so interested in these! I think that spritzing the edp & dabbing the extract on top, would give the best of both worlds.

8:09 AM EST  
Blogger krnszn said...

Thanks for the post, Tom! I've been wanting to try Vero's scents for months now, and you inspired me to order a couple of samples from Luckyscent. Unfortunately, they didn't have Onda available, but I ordered Rubj and Kiki. Can't wait to try them! Since I prefer sprays to extraits, I'd love to see these offered as EDPs. PLUS, I'm rabidly crazy about passion fruit, so REALLY anxious to try them.

9:47 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

anatole-

I think you will like these in EdP a lot.

11:45 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

kathleen-

I think you're right!

11:45 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Karin-

I thought an earlier commenter wrote that LuckyScent didn't do samples of these> Hmmm.

I'd love to read what you thought of them when you do try them!

11:46 AM EST  
Anonymous Marian said...

Wishing Rubj EDP was available in time for Valentine's Day? Sounds like just the thing to spray my sheets. (Sigh)......

12:36 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Marian-

I wish they all were available for the dreaded V-day!

12:52 PM EST  
Anonymous Flora said...

These sound fabulous! I am a huge fan of passion fruit, and the idea of infusing it into these intense perfumes to lighten them up is a stroke of genius. I hope these do end up being released in smaller sizes, cuz I want ALL of them!

1:15 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D-

I hope so too!

2:30 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home