Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Monday, December 28, 2009

Spice/Chest: L'Artisan Al Oudh

By Tom

Oudh (or Aoud, or Oud or however it's spelled) is a note that I have learned to really love. Through Kelley I've discovered Montale and through Marina I've discovered the wildly priced Arabian Oud line. This year seems to be the Year of Oud in niche: everyone from Tom Ford to Le Labo has one.

Created by Berntrand Duchaufour, Al Oudh could almost be accused of false advertising. Patty at Perfume Posse described it as "sweaty armpit" while Robin at NST calls it a "bold, very enjoyable outing". I get a boatload of cumin. Cumin, cumin and citrus opening, cumin, cumin, cumin and oud with roses middle and cumin, cumin, cumin, cumin, vanilla, civet and cumin drydown. (spam, spam, spam, lov-e-ly spam...) I happen to like cumin in scents, even unto Eau d'Hermes and I do like this one. A lot. Despite the cumin-heavy mix it's only really overwhelming in the first half hour: after that it's silky smooth. Unless of course, you don't like cumin. If you dislike that note then I suggest staying well clear: unlike a some L'Artisan scents, this is quite tenacious.

Al Oudh is $155 for 100ML available at the usual suspects. I spritzed at Barneys and asked for and received a sample at ScentBar.

Labels: , , ,

20 Comments:

Anonymous lady jane grey said...

Hm, I'm an oud-fan, and I do like the "horse sweat"-y oud of LeLabo - but am I brave enough for that much cumin ?

4:35 AM EST  
Blogger M said...

Marina -- thanks for this post; intriguing, especially as Duchaufour is behind it. Oud scents are always of interest to me and on my blog I recently reviewed "Duro", which is for me like M7 without the sweet bit.
The Pierre Mondale ouds are also good -- thought I can never keep them all apart; a few too many in that range.
XO,
Michael

5:34 AM EST  
Blogger Mals86 said...

"Spice/chest" - thanks for the laugh, Tom! I saw the post title and knew exactly what you were reviewing...

9:05 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right, this scent is all about cumin, not oudh. I was very disappointed with this when I tried it. Not that its bad, its just too tame for its own good and on me not tenacious in the least. I love me some oudh, but I need to look elsewhere for my fix.

12:27 PM EST  
Anonymous Flora said...

Hmm - is it anything like Timbuktu? I do like cumin, but it can be hard to wear around other people.

1:14 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Jane-

Dunno. It's heavy cumin and light Oudh

3:48 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Michael-

I'll have to read that review!

3:48 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Mals86-

I thought it was kindsa clever..

3:48 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Anon-

It's not very Oudh-y at all. But I do like what's there. On me it was very tenacious (for L'Artisan), but it luckily didn't project a lot.

3:50 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D-

I don't think I've tried Timbiktu. On the cumin scale this leaves Serge Noir in the dust. It might even be more cumin than Eau d'Hermes

3:51 PM EST  
Anonymous Nasir said...

wow awesome ...thanks for shring valuable information.....

8:10 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Nasir-

Thanks!

8:55 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree.... " boatload of cumin. Cumin, cumin and citrus opening, cumin, cumin, cumin and oud with roses middle and cumin, cumin, cumin, cumin, vanilla, civet and cumin drydown. (spam, spam, spam, lov-e-ly spam...) "

It definitely was not for me. I as a woman can not pull this one off. To my nose, it's a very manly scent. Enjoy! ;0


~Dawn

p.s. did you try Havana Vanille while at LuckyScent? If so, yay or nay on this one?

9:02 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Dawn-

I can understand that.

I like Havana Vanille, but I have enough Vanille in my life at the moment. Also, Al Oudh pretty much made Havana Vanille run home to it's mommy.

9:36 PM EST  
Blogger pitbull friend said...

Great review, Tom. This was very helpful! I was going to avoid this one because I don't do well with oud. Now I know that I should instead avoid this one because I don't do well with cumin!;>)

11:21 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

pf-

If you don't like cumin then you will loathe and despise this.

9:48 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

hello, I'm back to this wonderful blog after months of treatments (cancer), writing, breaking up with my man and coming back to him...in between I discovered Al Oudh, and, perhaps because of the tectonic changes i felt something good and daring about it. In my youth i committed fragrance suicide by spraying L'Autre de Dyptyque, and felt like a shish-kebab for a whole day. That was cumin...and Al Oudh is cumin too, but so intertwined with other naughty and lovelier things - that civet, the rose - that, well, to the amazement of the sales person I bought a whole bottle.

10:19 AM EST  
Anonymous Best Skincare for Men said...

I was very disappointed with this when I tried it. Not that its bad, its just too tame for its own good and on me not tenacious in the least.

Best Skincare for Men

10:15 AM EDT  
Anonymous Best perfume for Women in their 20s said...

I was very disappointed with this when I tried it. Not that its bad, its just too tame for its own good and on me not tenacious in the least.

Best perfume for Women in their 20s

5:18 AM EDT  
Anonymous Best Perfumes for Women Spring 2011 said...

I was very disappointed with this when I tried it. Not that its bad, its just too tame for its own good and on me not tenacious in the least.

Best Perfumes for Women Spring 2011

1:30 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home