Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, December 11, 2009

Hove Tea Olive

The subconscious power of words! I see the word, "olive", and although I know that tea olive is a species of osmanthus, my nose smells something oily. Good oily, comforting oily. Perhaps, "creamy" would be an even better word. Literally creamy- like the scent of the facial cream my grandma used to put on at night. Did it have olive oil base? Perhaps.

Tea olive is supposed to have an apricot-like quality, but to my nose, Hove's version does not. After the first brightly floral burst, even the flowery characteristic becomes subdued, and I find it difficult to tell any notes whatsoever. It is all quiet, languid, dreamy creaminess. I don't miss apricots and flowers and I have no desire to investigate the actual notes. A great olfactory miracle happened here, the one that happens once in a while, when a fragrance or a certain aspect of it touches something in your soul and the strings of your heart start playing the song you thought you have forgotten. Hove's Tea Olive transferred me to my happy place, where I am a small child, loved and protected, dosing off, over-excited, on the eve of something festive and gift-ful.

Happy holidays, everybody, whichever ones you choose to celebrate!

Image source, Frеd St.Jоhn, pbаse.com.

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has been a favorite of my mother's for 40 years. Every trip she takes to the Big Easy, she buys this in quantity. They have a nice solid version, too, which is great for travel. So glad you discovered one of our family's favorite houses!
Best,
Marla

2:15 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Marla,
I keep forgetting that it is a fairly old house. I need to discover more of their scents.

6:45 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like their Rue Royale, Vetivert, and Limes des Buras. Their scents are good for Southern climates, they are mostly light, but long-lasting. It's one of my fave places in the French Quarter.
-Marla

7:14 AM EST  
Anonymous sybil said...

Tea olive= osmanthus!
I want to try this one, sounds like it might make me forget winter, a bit...

9:15 AM EST  
Anonymous Marian said...

"when a fragrance or a certain aspect of it touches something in your soul and the strings of your heart start playing the song you thought you have forgotten".
I love this image- so poignant- sad an exhilarating at the same time. And now that the song is remembered- what will the future hold?

12:00 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Marla,
On my to try list they go!

12:27 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Sybil,
There is certainly something tropical in it...escapist.

12:27 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got some of this when I visited N.O. long ago. I liked it very much too. It made me also feel lazy and languid.

2:14 PM EST  
Blogger elle said...

Definitely a delightfully creamy scent. Sadly, still not the osmanthus holy grail I remain searching for, but lovely in its own right.
Happy holidays!! :-)

6:12 PM EST  
Anonymous dissed said...

Beautiful post. I lived in New Orleans for five years, and sweet olive (local term) lined the streets in my Uptown neighborhood. I've never found anything similar in perfumery, but I would love to try this. Thank you!

8:22 PM EST  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Oooh. I've had a sample of this waiting around forever for me to try it. Isn't it funny--I couldn't get past the name! Even though I, too, knew it meant Osmanthus, I kept thinking of Tea Tree Oil.

We are creatures of the word...

9:20 PM EST  
Blogger Koki said...

The perfume of the tea olive tree is probably the most evocative scent of my life, for both good and bad memories. I have been a Hove customer off and on for 30 years, and have wanted to try this but was almost afraid of unleashing all those memories again. Perhaps I'll try a small sample and see how it goes . . . .

7:03 AM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

I just know I would like this one. I have heard of the house but for some reason I do not recall ever seeing any of their products on the shelves. Where did you find it?

8:07 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Anonymous,
It's a great feeling, right?

7:31 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
Which scent came the closest to the osmanthus HG status?

7:33 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
I can't even imagine how amazing it would smell lining the street like that...

7:33 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Alyssa,
Creatures of the word...Love it :-)

7:34 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Koki,
I hope it will bring only lovely memories!

7:34 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna,
A lovely friend, a source of many of my discoveries sent a sample. I *think* that Hove might sell samples, no?

7:35 AM EST  
Anonymous Ayrton said...

Great post, warm & natural.

7:58 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home