Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Love the sinner.. My Sin by Lanvin

By Tom

A very generous friend sent me a package of treasures that I will be examining over the next few months. The reason for the length of time examining them? They are all beautiful vintage scents that warrant a more introspective view than modern ones. Nothing against modern scents; there is something about vintage that sometimes makes me need to get into the mindset. Angela at Now Smell This called My Sin "demanding" while Gaia, the Non-Blonde was reminded of her Grandmother (a woman I would like to go back in time and meet),

It reminded me of an experience I had driving a vintage T-Bird my friend owned. The T-Bird was a car that you capital "D" drove: one minute of being inattentive and you could be across three lanes of traffic. My Sin is something you capital "W" wear: it's serious perfume. It's not winking, it's not "retro" and it's in no way frivolous. It's from the time when you went to a store like Bergdorfs and the dresses were modeled for you on live "mannequins" and tailored to you, three fittings minimum. Meeting the girls for lunch meant hose, gloves and a hat, which pretty much was the way you'd pick up the morning paper, which of course you wouldn't do. If there was such a thing as Bravo at the time you'd rather die than be a "Housewife" on it.

How does My Sin smell? Rich. Aldehydes and flowers open it and they're rich and heavy as a sable coat. There's also a shocking bit of civet in there: the eponymous "Sin" made olfactory, which gets more and more sinful until the drydown, which is close to the skin and whispers of past indiscretions.

My Sin was discontinued in 1988. A lady named Irma Shortell has the rights to the name and markets a version of that I have not smelled. If you've smelled the new one of better yet both, please chime in.

Oh, and it you're wondering whether I'd wear this? Sure. Like I'd wear spaghetti straps and taffeta...

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

I loved My Sin......It was one of the perfumes of my youth, I remember it from all of my mothers parties.
It was a scent that wore alot of women and not that many women could wear.

Yet I thought that it was really beautiful...something vaguely forbidden about it like the affairs of those same bored women who just didn't talk about such things....
Loved the review Tom....thanks for the memories:)

6:52 AM EST  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Great review, Tom. Because of the aldehydes, I find My Sin more difficult to wear than my beloved vintage Scandal, but they definitely came from the same era/idea.

And BTW -- I think it's Shorell (no 't'). And I wish someone would comment on that stuff, too, I'm curious. March raves about Anarchy, their dupe of Karan's Chaos.

8:05 AM EST  
Blogger Mals86 said...

Fun review, Tom! I don't think I'd wear My Sin - it would likely kill me, but then I'm a wimp. Vintage Arpege is rich* enough to nearly knock me over, so I just suffer through to the gorgeous drydown. (*Flowers close to rotting in the vase... the aldehydes don't bother me.) And if Arpege does that to me, My Sin would be off the scale.

Love the T-bird.

9:11 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Beth-

I think it is a scent that could wear a person rather than the other way around..

12:29 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Alyssa-

You are correct, it is Shorell. If she's reading I hope she will forgive my bad typing and lack of editing skills...

12:31 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Mals

I think this is a lovely scent, but like those "Mad Men" fashions or that T-Bird better as a costume than as a daily driver..

12:33 PM EST  
Anonymous Flora said...

Tom, I have been debating whether or not to try and score some vintage My Sin, and after reading this my mind is made up - I MUST have it! Wow, even if I hardly ever wear it, I think I need it. I didn't know anyone who actually wore it back in the day, but i must have smelled it on someone and wondered what that wonderful aroma was...

4:21 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D-

I think you will really like it!

4:49 PM EST  
Blogger elle said...

Great review! Such perfect analogies for this scent. Very glad I have a bottle of My Sin parfum. Admire it immensely. Sniff it periodically. Dream of the day I will be grown up enough, elegant enough to wear it. At this rate it's looking like that may be sometime around the middle of my next incarnation.

6:21 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle-

I understand. If I was one of the actresses on "Mad Men" I might wear it in a scene to get into character. Other than that, maybe not so much. Certainly not for picking up something at the hardware store...

7:10 PM EST  
Blogger Ducks said...

I haven't tried it, but I've heard really good things about the Irma Shorell blend.

12:51 PM EST  
Blogger barbi said...

I just received Irma Shorell /My Sin
it is delicate and inviting
clean, fresh and powdery
Love It ...♥

10:27 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home