Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, November 05, 2009

Guilt-Free: Саlvin Кlein СКfree- аnd а draw

Earlier Marina was contacted by the people marketing this new scent asking if we'd like to try it and offering to give two bottles away in a draw. She asked me if I wanted to be the reviewer (I suppose since I am male) and my answer to her was "won't they hate me if I trash it?"

Her answer? "Who cares :-)"

They're going to hate me, but just a little.

I'm not quite sure the marketer had read my post on one of the previous Klein scents that I found frankly a bit lacking, that mentioned the one that started a thousand СК's- СКone. For those of you vacationing in outer space in the early 90's, СКone was a monster hit for Calvin Klein: the then-edgy ad campaign featured all sorts of kids of indeterminate gender and grunge-esque clothed Tweens standing around against a bright white background, like in God’s waiting room, or The Apple Store. The reason that scent was such a hit wasn't the campaign or that the idea of unisex scents were so new, but that the scent was the right one at the right time: bright bergamot, sparkling hedione and a skin-musk drydown as addictive as crack. I had a bottle and went through it in record time, but somehow didn't buy another.

As for СКfree, I'll quote from the press release:

casual - spontaneous – confident

скfree, inspired by the spirit of the modern, independent man who lives every day to the fullest. he has nothing to prove. he’s cool, relaxed and free-spirited. he does what he wants and is in control of his own destiny.

He also is apparently averse to capital letters.

Notes, again from the press release:

top: thailand star anise, jackfruit, absinthe, juniper berry

mid: suede, tobacco leaves, coffee absolute, south african buchu

dry: patchouli absolute, oakwood, texan cedarwood, costa rican ironwood

I normally think of myself as having rather a good nose, but this totally defeated me. I couldn't discern one single note. I'm going to be nice and ascribe it to the scent being well-balanced.

To be honest, it's not a bad scent. It's pleasant, slightly sweet and with a very nice, very light woody dry-down. You could wear it anywhere and the most reaction you'd get is "he smells nice" without the smeller being able to pinpoint why or what. I think the Calvin Klein people made two mistakes with this: first, it really should have been released last May. It's pleasantly summery and and has a frozen fruity chill that would have been perfect for a hot summer day. Second, the name. This isn't СКone, two or forty-seven; and I think they should СКbe done with the whole СКwhatever business and start coming up with actual names.

I am, most likely rather (ahem) outside of the age group being marketed to here. You'll be smelling a lot of this, just more in the mailroom than the boardroom.

As I wrote, the marketers have offered 2 bottles to be given out, if you would like to be included in the draw, please leave a comment.

СКfree will be available everywhere except perhaps outer space at prices ranging from $32 for 1oz to $62 for 3.4oz

Note: I was given a small full bottle by the marketing people. When they read the above I am sure they will bitterly repent having done so.

Image source, techandlife.com.

Labels: , ,

48 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin D Young said...

Please enter me in for the draw.

12:37 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to get it, pls enter me! Thanks, Alica - alica@cleis.net

1:11 AM EST  
Blogger Fab said...

Not too sure that I'd like this one, but I'll gladly test it and pass it on to a friend or relative. ;-) Please enter me in the draw.

3:04 AM EST  
Blogger Ľubaša said...

I would like to enter and to give it to my friend on holiday. Thanks
lubaska dot k at gmail dot com

6:50 AM EST  
Anonymous RM said...

Hi, excellent review as always, please enter me in the draw I'd be very interested to try it!

7:17 AM EST  
Blogger lutefisk said...

I love an honest reveiw.
Please enter me. Thank you.

7:57 AM EST  
Blogger ScentScelf said...

OMG, lol! Morning made happy by phrase "God's waiting room, or the Apple store."
>continues chuckling...<

If you don't call 'em like you see 'em, readers will not trust a "good" review. Go, team!

9:22 AM EST  
Blogger Cynthia said...

lol - I consider all of the CKwhatever scents to be the wallpaper scents - they're just kind of there, non-intrusive and vaguely pleasant. That's not to say that I don't own any of them because sometimes a big spritz of CKone Summer is just what the doctor ordered, but they're "running around doing errands" or hanging out scents.

I would still like to be entered in the draw - I'm trying to get my husband to wear something besides Drakkar Noir and this sounds like something he might actually try. Of course, I should stop sabotaging myself by letting him see me spritz on the same stuff that I'm trying to get him to wear. He now thinks that M7 and Stetson are "girl perfume".

9:59 AM EST  
Anonymous Roberto C said...

Hi, please enter me in the draw, I can give this to my brother, I think he'd like it.
Thanks.

10:57 AM EST  
Blogger Marko said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:14 AM EST  
Blogger Marko said...

very funny tom - and in honor of your review, i choose not to use any caps either.

please enter me into the draw.

thanks,

marko

11:16 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Benjamin-

You're in

2:05 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Alicia-

you too.

2:06 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Ľubaša

you're in

2:06 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

RM-

You are in as well.

2:07 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

lutefisk-

you are entered

2:07 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

scentself-

I try to call them as I see (or in this case sniff) them.

It's not a bad scent by any means..

2:08 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Cynthia-

That's a perfect way to put it. It's not challenging by any means and sometimes that can be a good thing.

You're in the draw

2:09 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Roberto C-

you are in

2:10 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

marko-

you're in too!

2:10 PM EST  
Blogger Amy K said...

My husband's friend owns a 10-year-old bottle of CKbe that's slightly "off" from living in his steamy bathroom all these years. If I win, he'll be the proud new owner of some fresh CK cologne.

2:58 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Amy-

you are in the draw.

3:18 PM EST  
Blogger Dorothy said...

I would like to try this perfume out

3:28 PM EST  
Anonymous maitreyi1978 said...

I'm willing to try anything. Please include me in the draw.

6:18 PM EST  
Blogger DWR said...

I'd love to be considered in the drawing. Thanks!

7:35 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, I found nothing in your review that would deter the CK_____ consumer. The list of notes is actually an intriguing one though the idea that none of those potentially delicious notes is discernible one from the other is a little disappointing. At any rate, I'd like to be included in the draw. It could be the casual "whatever" scent I've been looking for. :) Thanks!

-Anthony

8:51 PM EST  
Anonymous zither said...

Please enter me for the draw

10:09 PM EST  
Blogger Trina said...

Maybe I'm losing it, but this sounds nice to me! CK scents tend to work beautifully with my chemistry though, so I'm sure I'm biased. Please enter me!!!

6:00 AM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I'd like to be entered into the draw.

9:15 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Dorothy, you're in

12:57 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

maitreyi1978-

you too

12:57 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Diana-

you are in the draw

12:57 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Anthony-

if you win you can report back whether you can discern them?

in any case, you're in!

12:59 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

zither-

you're in!

12:59 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Trina-

you are in as well.

12:59 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

ellen-

you are entered!

1:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PUT ME IN THE DRAW.
BARBARA

1:38 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

YOU'RE IN!

..and NOT averse to caps :-)

4:05 PM EST  
Blogger Flora said...

LOL, no need to enter me, and I totally agree with your assessment. I have no idea why these CK fragrances are so popular, but they pretty much all smell the same to me, some worse than others - this summer's version of CKOne Summer nearly killed me. It pains me that a company with THAT much money can't come up with a quality line of fine fragrances instead of these endless clones.

That said, this one sounds better than some. I think Euphoria is the best of their current offerings, and CKFree might be what the boyfriend of the girl who wears that would choose. Notice I did not say "man" or "woman." I am well beyond the age range of their target demographic. :-)

6:19 PM EST  
Blogger Tammy said...

No need to enter me in the draw, but Tom, you make me smile with every review! And I think this is a great one.....sound slike it will be a big seller, to me!

6:40 PM EST  
Anonymous dremybluz said...

enter me in the draw

7:22 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Before investing money in any fund, you should analyse the debt and taxation factor involve in it..
==========================================================
cristina
voucher codes

5:05 AM EST  
Anonymous dissed said...

It sounds nice, which isn't necessarily a positive recommendation. LOL at the bitter regret.

9:19 AM EST  
Blogger Scott said...

Okay, I am ready to dip my toe into the mainstream. Please enter me in the drawing!

11:03 AM EST  
Anonymous Tilly said...

Please enter me in the draw - I would love to give this to my husband, who doesn't wear cologne at all. Thank you!

3:37 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

You were rather kind, I think. I have a friend who would enjoy this, so please enter me in the draw. Thanks.

4:13 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a wonderful, understated review. It's that good, huh? I like star anise and regular anise, but you're not getting any of it, huh? Throw me in as well... though I'm really planning on winning the LeLong samples!
Thanks,
Laura M

1:17 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

You're all in and the drawing is CLOSED

3:49 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home