Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Get Me Some Collectibles!

By Marla

The sweltering dog days of summer can be good times for staying indoors and polishing up our perfume collections. It’s also a good time to go shopping for those delightful special editions of our favorite fumes. I’ve been particularly lucky this summer to find some gems that I wanted to share.

What’s particularly exciting to me this summer? Travel-friendly collectibles. Airplane travel is tough for us perfumistas (how many bottles can I fit in that one-quart bag?), and train travel necessitates small luggage footprints. In addition, spraying yourself liberally with Samsara or Jolie Madame when packed tightly with your fellow humanity is not very acceptable. In fact I think it’s a felony in several countries. So what to do when you need a fragrant lift on a long journey?

Lolita Lempicka, Estee Lauder, and Kenzo have all heard these pleas, and have answered them with some fantastic special editions. My favorite is Lolita Lempicka’s solid compact. It’s heavy, it’s beautiful purple-enameled silver, and the solid crème perfume of LL’s signature scent is true to the original, but with much less sillage. It’s a more private version of one of my favorite scents. Kenzo has been making Ryoko Stones, or Nomad Sprays, for several years now, 3 for women, 2 for men. They are wonderfully shiny and bean-shaped, as much fun to hold as a Pet Rock, and contain 20ml of perfume, just enough for a few vacations. I am waiting for a Ryoko Stone of KenzoPower (because with a name like that, I think it may turn me into a superhero), but I found an older stone of KenzoAir and snatched it up. Tokyo was a bit bland for me, but it comes in a shiny black stone, the most irresistible of the bunch, so I may have to buy one anyway.

For a more posh solid, Estee Lauder makes a beautiful collection of compacts around the winter holidays each year. They are solid perfumes encased in enameled jeweled compacts, and I can’t imagine anything prettier to give as a holiday gift. I don’t personally wear any ELs, they don’t suit me somehow, but for those who have a favorite in her line, these solid compacts are beyond gorgeous.

So what are some of your favorite limited editions and travel-friendly perfumes?

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Claudia0219 said...

I love the look of the LL solid compact and look at that beautiful bottle. :)

12:13 AM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Wow, I don't wear many Lauder scents either, but I love that butterfly compact!

I have been meaning to explore some of the solid perfumes, these all sound great.

2:12 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like that solid perfumes are very low sillage. But close up, they can be quite compelling. So they're a great option for crowded restaurants, cinemas, airplanes, metro, etc.. I wish more solids were being made, actually.
Best,
Marla

4:36 AM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

I think that the EL solids are so pretty...especially the Tuberose Gardenia one!!!!!

7:46 AM EDT  
Blogger ScentScelf said...

I have a lot of fun with solids, actually, not just because I love their functionality...safer to slip into a purse/bag/suitcase, and as you mention, a different kind of sillage...but also because of being fascinated by them as objects.

I have found DKNY Cashmere Mist and Boucheron in solid compacts.

Those Ryoko stones are interesting, but I haven't met one yet. Are they kind of like a smaller version of the Black Cashmere "worry stone"?

8:38 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, they are, but since they are one piece, they are more tactile and aesthetically interesting, if that makes sense. The nozzle is at the top, made of soft rubber in the same color. The stone itself is very dense, polished plastic, whereas the BC is half plastic, half glass. The Ryoko stones are quite heavy. I've only seen them online in America, but in shops and airports in Europe.
-Marla

8:58 AM EDT  
Anonymous sybil said...

Because I am a cheapie, I love the Crazylibellule sticks. AndmPacifica makes some nice solid ones, too. Nowhere near the eye candy of that Lauder one, though...

9:04 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The crazysticks are favorites of mine, too! I especially love a couple of their white musks for the gym!
-Marla

10:05 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Fracas solid- lower sillage, beautiful presentation box and little sac to protect it, the weight of the container is very satisfying. Great way to feel over extravagantly feminine without causing others to run for the exits.

10:16 AM EDT  
Anonymous Wordbird said...

Crazy Libellule and the Poppies solid perfume sticks are great for traveling and generally keeping in handbags. I'm looking forward to trying the new additions to the range, they sound excellent.

I find solids generally are good. I get them from Yves Rocher or Lush and because they're not so expensive, I don't mind chucking them about or exposing them to heat on holiday.

But I do also tuck a decant or two into my washbag - EL Bronze Goddess came on holiday this year, along with some Ava Luxe No 23. That's when it's great to have some decanting supplies around the house.

11:02 AM EDT  
Anonymous SophN said...

These new ones sounds good, can't wait to try them! Although I agree with the comments about a lack of sillage... sometimes good, sometimes bad.

4:12 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, sometimes I do want a perfume that projects a little more. But in some contexts, solids are perfect.
Best,
Marla

1:04 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home