Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Washington Tremlett Clove Absolute: Perfume Review

By Tom

For those in the know, Washington Tremlett is the bespoke shirtmaker of choice on Savile Row (wrote the man who still orders his shirts from L. L. Bean). They are also the outfit that invented the modern necktie.

Clove Absolute is their newest scent and is as crisply tailored and luxuriously soft as a hand-finished Egyptian cotton shirt. Listed notes are (via Luckyscent) Lemon, Heliotrope, Rose, Incense, Clove Absolute, Patchouli, Vanilla Absolute, Cistus Absolute, and Musk. What isn't listed is immortelle, but if it's not in there then the clove, patch and vanilla serve to do a damned fine imitation. For the phobic this doesn't translate to Sables, who some find life-threateningly cloying- the imitation immortelle along with the thoroughgoing clove just makes one want to lean in and sniff. The clove's aspects go through several stages from sparklingly bright onto doughy followed by sweet to barbershop through to a drydown that's everything you ever wanted a man to smell like. Not that a woman couldn't get away with it or wouldn't want to. I just think it's better given to him as a gift, then filched.

$175 for 100ML, at LuckyScent

Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Flora said...

Tom, I am a big fan of clove and this sounds divine!

"Not that a woman couldn't get away with it or wouldn't want to. I just think it's better given to him as a gift, then filched." - LOL, I like the way you think! :-D

12:27 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Filch it-- of course!
Gretchen
ps: my verification word is "fenool". Sounds like an herbal or vegetal note for perfume, doesn't it? "Fenool accord"-- manly, yes, but I like it too.

11:51 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D-

It is pretty divine.

I was a filcher myself once..

12:11 PM EDT  
Blogger violetnoir said...

And, how does that holographic label look, Tom?

Filch? Oh I would never do something like that...

Hugs!

12:11 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Gretchen-

I love the idea of a "fenool" accord!

12:12 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Robin-

I guess the answer is "not too well" since I didn't even notice it.

4:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Sikkim said...

Sounds interesting. I even didn't know this brand name.

4:08 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

sikkim-

I sort of knew of the tailor, but didn't know they had scents. I'd like to go back and try the rest.

6:42 PM EDT  
Blogger Tammy said...

I like the way you think, too...and the way this sounds. I see some serious filching in my future

9:29 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Tammy-

Good for you!

9:33 PM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

I really liked this scent, but...it's just not me. That actually shocks me since the notes read like they'd been custom chosen w/ my tastes in mind. I'm going to go on sampling it. I'm hoping against hope that my skin chemistry will shift and it will become the magical scent I was sure it would be. My fave WT scents are Black Tie and Iris Absolute (killer old fashioned powder scent - in the best possible way).

10:35 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle-

sorry to read that; I really want to try the other ones too.

11:06 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Wow Tom,
This sounds amazing.. absolutely irrestable !!!
I so enjoyed the review and know that i will love this...clove and heliotrope so put me over the moon!

12:16 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Beth-

I think you'll like this!

12:33 AM EDT  
Anonymous Joe said...

Tom, it's nice to see you review this. Oh, how I wanted so badly to love this (I ordered samples in record time after receiving the announcement of availability).

However, it's not the clove scent I was dreaming of. Nicely spicy, yes, and who knows, it may end up being perfect when the weather turns cool next fall and winter (or what passes for those seasons out here). In the meantime, I'm also sampling the deliciously dark spice and black pepper of PdN Maharadjah.

1:49 AM EDT  
Blogger Maria said...

I used to think I don't like roses in perfumes, I grew up with so much cheap bulgarian rose perfume around me. I prefer real roses on the table or in my garden. But recently I discovered that in fact I go for certain roses in perfumes and I would certainly like to know more about different roses used. Parfum Sacre Caron is one that I'm crazy about and in the end I think all perfumes I love have some roses, it's just to understand how is combined when I like it so much. Just yesterday though I tried the Sa Majeste la Rose of Serge Lutends and even if it's wonderful it's not for me. May be too much roses are tooooo openly womanish for me...
Anyway, please include me in the draw. I would love to try this one.

10:03 AM EDT  
Blogger Janet said...

I tried a sample of this and while I loved it, one of the comments I got was that I smelled like a pumpkin pie.

12:11 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Really? I didn't get that at all. But I did find it more gourmand being dabbed than being sprayed.

12:53 PM EDT  
Anonymous Mikeperez23 said...

Want. Badly.

10:55 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home