Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Monday, May 04, 2009

Kenzo Eau de Fleur Magnolia: Perfume Review

Eau de Fleur Magnolia is a part of Kenzo's new collection of floral scents, to which every year a new flower will be added. The collection right now also includes Eau de Soie and Eau de Thé. Created by Francis Kurkdjian, Magnolia is my favorite of the trio. I haven't expected to be so charmed by a scent this subtle and fresh, but it seemed to have put its quiet, tranquil spell on me.

Despite the name, this is by no means a magnolia soliflore. The slightly fruity, apricotty flower is present like a shadow on water, a beautiful ghost of its usually sweet, luscious self. Which is exactly what I am in a mood for right now, it seems: pastels, transparency, non-heady floralcy, non-agressive freshness. There is quite a lot of citrus in the blend, dry, non-sweet citrus with a woody undertone, which plays into the delightful paleness of the composition. In the base, I sense something a little smoky, like a hint of black tea, perhaps...the overall effect is of weightless simplicity, of grace, ease and calm. As is the case with any creation that appears simple, it is in fact undeniably complex. Kurkdjian's sumptuous touch shows through the apparent purity of the fragrance, which makes its transparency warm and its colorlessness interesting.

Available at Sephora, Nordstrom and Kenzousa, $55.00 for 1.7oz.

Image source, lizham.com

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Flora said...

I am lusting after this now! I adore magnolia, but it does seem to show up in a lot of over-the-top perfumes; I love the idea of a lighter, fresher take on it.

12:32 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna,
It is so very easy to wear!

8:14 AM EDT  
Blogger lovethescents said...

I agree that this is lovely and easy to wear. A full bottle is definitely necessary as the lasting power is so poor. I douse myself once, then repeat after about 3 hours. Just buttery and light and perfect for spring/summer.

9:55 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

S,
You know, funny thing, it really, really lasts on me. All day. go figure1

9:56 AM EDT  
Anonymous March said...

It is a really nice scent, isn't it? I continue to be won over by many Kenzos, which I find easy to wear without being dull.

btw my verify today is genisess which I'm reading as "geniuses" ;-) because we are, right? Unless it's Biblical...

12:29 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
Or maybe it's the band? :-)

12:32 PM EDT  
Blogger Solander said...

I tried these the other day and I agree the Magnolia one is quite lovely! The Tea one is nice too, though a lot like other fresh green tea scents I suppose.

1:29 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

T,
All green tea scents smell the same to me...

1:41 PM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

Our neighborhood is full of magnolia trees and I'm always looking for a scent that replicates the scent of the variety that grow here (clean, lemony, sweet). Am definitely going to have to give this one a try since you mention the citrus in it. Hope springs eternal!

1:54 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
I don't think you'd be crazy head over heels in love with it, but you might like it for sure.

1:55 PM EDT  
Anonymous March said...

The band! That's it! Do you suppose we're supposed to start a band? I can't play anything.

Okay, I just got "bonsiai." Maybe I'm supposed to plant a tree instead.

4:38 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

March
...nor can I sing. And plants die in my care...

4:54 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a lovely description. I find that Kenzo fragrances are generally quite nice, but not quite "me" -- this one, though, sounds like it might be perfect. I look forward to trying it. Thanks for the great review.

12:07 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Jean,
Thank you. Maybe you will "click" with this one.

7:29 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I love the smell of magnolia and I think I will have to seek this out!

1:19 PM EDT  
Blogger Maria said...

I'm so sorry, I usually go for your tastes almost blindfolded. But I was so dissapointed by this Kenzo. I just read your post and went to check it in a break. It smells so artificial. Only not so juicy artificial as we are used with most of newcomer. Might be this is its only merit. Sorry

1:22 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home