Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, September 04, 2008

Perfume Review: Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte

By Tom

I must write that the holiday weekend kind of crept up upon me, leaving me high and dry in a couple of ways. I lazily left that Saturday to hanging out, going to SIP to pick up my bottle of Musc Botanique (which was not available at the time that I visited). This visit went from "pop in for two minutes" to a long chat about everything from ice cream to whether LA has seasons. Suddenly it was 5pm, and I still had to get to Pasadena to feed my friends cats since she was away for the weekend. I've put more miles on my car this weekend than I think I have in the three previous weeks. But hey, gas dropped to under $4 and it's good to log some freeway miles once in a while, right?

Of course having wasted so much time this weekend there were a couple things that slipped my mind. Like getting the car smogged. I don't know how the car inspections are where you live, but in California you must get your car smog tested every two years. It actually seems to be the only thing that needs to be tested; I remember in Massachusetts they inspected the headlights, brakes and other mechanical systems. In CA, it's smog. Fine, but I forgot about it and it's due Tuesday. Being a government sponsored thing, they basically have bankers hours. Grrr.

The other thing I missed is that some stores have the gall to close on labor day. Don't they know it's all about me? Grrr.

So, after lazing away the weekend with "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" on DVD I realised that I needed to review something. Looking in my closet I espied the green bottle of Hermes Eau de Cologne and lo and behold I've never written about it. Much.

My bottle is the older version, apparently it was renamed Eau d'Orange Vert in 1997. Like Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien, it's a light and refreshing citrus, this time bergamot and orange peel with a touch of mint and barely discernible jasmine. Actually most of the listed notes (including patch, oakmoss and cedar) are barely discernible; this is as finely blended as a good whiskey. It's as refined as it is refreshing and as coolly chic as a seersucker suit. However, unlike that suit, I will be wearing this long after Labor Day. So should you.

Eau d'Orange Verte is available at various etailers at some great prices, I've seen the gigantic 13 oz splash bottle for as little as $60, which should allay the fears that the cologne is fairly fleeting. Note: I find the top notes are, the rest is just very close to the skin.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, I have to say that smogging is one thing I haven't missed at all (in addition to insurance and registration payments!) since I've been car-free here in Santa Barbara for over three years now. You have my sympathy.

I just recently noticed one of those giant 13oz bottles online somewhere and it's hard to believe anyone buys them! EdOV was one of the first bottles I bought when I started this perfume addiction and you're right about it being extremely well blended (though I don't discern even a hint of the mint and jasmine you seem to).

I don't find myself grabbing for it anymore as much as my beloved Terre d'Hermes, but it's a terrifically dry, almost bitter, orange that I'm still glad to have in my arsenal -- and I'm an absolute citrus freak. Sometimes on especially chilly days I prefer to pull out the Concentré, which is noticably sweeter and more cloying to me and something I can't really handle when the weather is warm. Nice to see you cover this classic!

1:57 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

This is one of those classic scents I always seem to forget about and then wonder why I have. Great stuff.
And what was the conclusion? Does LA have seasons?

9:09 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Love EdEV and love seersucker suits! :-)

9:25 AM EDT  
Blogger Ducks said...

EdOV is one of those perfumes that leave me pining for what might have been. It's beautiful, and absolutely lustrous on other people's skin, but it hates my chemistry for some reason. What I end up with after it mutates is exceedingly masculine and I just can't carry it off. And on me, it lasts forEVer... Murphy's Law, right? I wish it wouldn't squirm to get away from me. Sob.

Hey, you Californians ... I just moved back to Arroyo Grande from Chicago a year and a half ago and am completely bewildered by the seasons. It's not that they don't happen... it's that I haven't got a good handle on WHEN. My mom told me the other day that summer doesn't really start until late September or early October, and blew my mind... we were getting the first snow flurries in October in Chicago. Ah well.

10:27 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

joe805-

I used to not have a car and sometimes think it was the best way to go..

I don't find myself grabbing this one as much as I had, and having just re-smelled it I wonder why?

11:47 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle-

It is great isn't it?

Yes, LA has seasons. LA winter is basically fall everywhere else. Then we have spring, summer, more summer, 5 minutes of fall, more summer, "winter" then spring. I like it.

11:49 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

columbina-

Me too!

11:49 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

ducks-

Arroyo Grande? I assume that we'll be seeing you at the next gathering at ScentBar then? :-)

11:51 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,
The body shampoo of this perfect scent - is my favorite fragrance in the world - It is superior to the EDT and other forms.
I thank you for remembering this classic.
I first used it as a honeymooner in 1985 at the then Loew's Monte Carlo !
I now associate this citrus , musky ,ingenious scent with the everlovely South of France.
I would recommend the soap and body shampoo . They represent the essence of this refreshing ,naturally sexy scent .

12:20 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home