Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Monday, August 18, 2008

Perfume Review: Aftelier Cognac

Cognac to me is the most comforting drink. It has a pleasantly numbing effect, it relaxes and soothes my invariably stressed mind like no other drink, prescriptive or non-prescriptive, does. Drinking from a pear-shaped snifter is akin to imbibing in the waters of Lethe, the river of forgetfulness. A perfume inspired by the eau-de-vie should therefore be a comfort scent extraordinaire, and in talented hands of Mandy Aftel it really is.

A cognac lover whose knowledge on the subject is much superior to mine, when asked if the way Aftelier creation smells can be compared to any actual cognac, thought that if the perfume was a drink it would have been the closest to Martell Creation. Having had a (very expensive) pleasure of tasting the said cognac, I understand the comparison made by the tres sophisticated friend of mine. The notes of ginger and candied orange zest that hit the palate on the first sniff (and the first taste) are utterly delicious. The ginger spikes up the silky aroma, and its zestiness is perfectly balanced by the nutty, oily accord that makes me think of very old wooden casks and mild curry. The effect is incredibly attractive, a complex, mellow, rich aroma that is warming and refreshing at the same time, a blend that is simultaneously sensual and tranquil.

Aftelier Cognac is available at aftelier.com and Henri Bendel, $150.00 for 7ml. Martell Creation can be found at various wine merchants for around $300 for 750ml.

Labels: , ,

25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Мы ещё сделаем из тебя знатока и ценителя

9:52 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Вы ещё сделаете из меня алкоголика :-)

9:55 PM EDT  
Blogger ScentScelf said...

Welcome back!

I was recently pondering perfume & spirit pairings myself...I don't think I can address a cognac pairing just yet...interesting to read your musings on Aftelier & Martell.

Just might need to do some research....

11:55 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delicious! It makes me fantasize about winter, which we are badly in need of down here...

Welcome back, dear. Is that a summer vision of you, all tan skin and blue dress, in the new photo?

12:41 AM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Wow, this is really something different! I can imagine it being a fabulous comfort scent for winter. I like drinking cognac too, and this stuff sounds just delicious.

1:16 AM EDT  
Blogger Gaia said...

So great that you're back!
I tried the Afteliers last week at Bendel. This one was my second favorite after Tango.

1:47 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

Hmm. Wonder if I could justify the purchase of a bottle of Martell by wearing it as well as drinking it? For now at least, I'll just go dig out my sample of Aftelier's Cognac.

8:15 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Welcome back! I missed you so much! I, too, love cognac and Aftelier Cognac. I've never had the pleasure of tasting Martell Creation; I think I will satisfy myself with the perfume instead (this was a VERY clever ploy to make the perfume seem inexpensive):)

8:40 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Привет!
Рада видеть тебя снова. Почему Ина не пишет. Жаль.
Надо мне наконец добраться до Aftelier... Ты так страстно о нём всегда...
Женя.

10:45 AM EDT  
Blogger Jarvis said...

Welcome back, Marina. We missed you while you were away.

This Aftelier Cognac sounds interesting. I'll have to track down a sample.

1:11 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

This sounds wonderful!

Welcome back!

7:09 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

ScentScelf
thank you for pointing out your great article!
Cognac research...sounds like something I should continue doing too :-)

8:13 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Alyssa
It is a summery version of moi indeed, in one of my favorite dresses :-)

8:14 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Donna
it is delicious in the most sophisticated manner possible.

8:15 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Gaia,
I love your profile photo!
I am torn between Cognac and Cepes for my 2nd place

8:16 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Laurie
Martell actually is a bargain, in comparison, ounces-wise :-)

8:16 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith!! I missed you too! I hope you had time to enjoy the summer.
Actually, no the drink is like 100 times cheaper than the scent, if you count ml per ml. :-)

8:18 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Женя
Как здорово тебя "видеть"! Заходи почаше :-)

8:19 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Jarvis,
Thank you! It is so nice to be missed :-)

8:19 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
to quote a famous chef...it is yummo :-)

8:20 PM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Well, I was thinking about amount per use (but I guess that would depend on the user:)

9:19 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

HAHAHAHA!!!
Like an oz or so, no?

9:21 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Мариша, да я каждый день тебя "проверяю". Ты у меня в favorites №1.
:-)

12:56 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Мне так приятно!!

6:53 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:58 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home