Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Friday, March 21, 2008

Time to Rant- 800 New Perfumes, and a Big Whatever

By Marla

I still can’t believe we’re dealing with approximately 800 new perfumes per year. Even the most dedicated perfumista can’t keep up anymore. Unfortunately, what should be a smorgasbord of olfactory delights is more like the latest cable service- increased price for more channels of…nothing. I’ve tried at least 25 new perfumes since 2008 began, and I haven’t found any that are bottleworthy, in fact, most seem to be clones of each other, from the Terminator’s factory, suitable for bots but not bods. And I have quite a few in-your-face synthetics in my collection, including Flower and Alien, and I love them. They are unabashedly unnatural and strange, unique and intelligent. But these new bot-fumes are just plain…shrill. Shallow. Boring. Oh where to begin?

First, I eagerly awaited Shiseido’s newest Zen. Love the first one (black). Love the second (pearl). The third was plastic flowers in dull but obnoxious colors with rubber fruit thrown in. Yeesh.

Then the newest Laura Biagiotti. Now the long-lost Venezia (still available through Irma Shorell, I’ve heard), is a rich, fruity, spicy oriental. Even if those aren’t your style, you’ll still think it’s gorgeous, believe me. The minis sell for $50 and up on ebay (I got one from a friend for 3 euros, lucky me!). And Roma is still very popular in Europe, particularly among women who state, “I can’t stand perfume. But I wear Roma.” This rich orangey blend is subtle and charming. Beautiful on women of all ages. I own a huge tester, a mini, and a large bottle. Laura is a bland but subtle aquatic/ozonic. It’s just fine. But I admit to having had high hopes for the newest, Donna, with notes of peach and…prune, just like Venezia, right?? Oh noooooo….. I ran down to my local Douglas, spritzed it on my wrist, and almost gagged. Another synthetic fruity cocktail at the rave, or even a peach jello shot. I couldn’t wash it off in the shop, so I held my arm as far away from my body as possible until I reached a bathroom. Argh, who buys these memories of drunken debauches when they were 20-somethings and drank one-to-many fruity margaritas with the new guy from Accounting??

The latest Chloe? Pretty much the same, a notch more sophisticated. YSL’s Elle was nice but blah, with those same, over-the-top synthetic floral notes. Flowers from Planet Zogwart. I won’t even mention the new Joops, can’t keep track of them all anyway. Now I actually did like the Beckham Intimate for Men, it was a spicy treat. A little piratey bay in there? Yummy! Life has its surprises, and I could wear that one. But the rest? Forget about it! Always the optimist, I’m holding my breath for the new Lutens (the one with the funky faux British name) and the newest Hermes Jardin. Jean Claude Ellena, take me away!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger uma said...

How right your are! I've tested them all: Donna :-(, Elle :-(, Chloe :-( ... thanks god I like the latest Lutens. :-)

10:48 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I've given up on testing most of the new ones- If I grab it and it doesn't grab me back , then I'm done. Life's too short to wade that lychee flavored awamp looking for a rose..

11:29 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lychee?? Lychee??? Nooooooo!!! Especially not with pink pepper!

11:52 AM EDT  
Blogger ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

You are so right about the mass marketed fragrances! I've had success with niche fragrances this year but very few from popular designers. Mostly synthetic and "blah" indeed! Have you tried the Thierry Mugler Mirror Mirror scents? I wonder if any of those hold promise for you?

1:24 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell me more about Mirror Mirror. I generally like the things that come out of Mugler's kitchen.
-Marla

2:02 PM EDT  
Blogger ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Marla,

I am in the process of reviewing the five fragrances. I've got a couple posted and the last three will post on Monday. My favorite is A Travers Le Miroir, described as an "aromatic floral" and similar but better than SL Tubereuse Criminelle in my opinion. Also, Dis-Moi Miroir is a creamy, gourmand/floral. Check out more info. on my blog. I hope it's helpful. Have a great weekend!

8:34 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog, thanks! I'm looking forward to the next set of reviews. The licorice scent has intrigued me....
-M

2:37 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home