Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Perfume Review: Aroma M Geisha Noire

Aroma M was founded by Maria McElroy and her Japanese-born husband Shiniya Yokota. As an artist, Maria McElroy always had a passion for colors and textures, and, according to her, “blending fragrances in a bottle is like mixing colors on a palate (…)The scent becomes pigment, the body becomes the canvas. The nose responds to scent like the eye to color” (From the Aroma M press release). As a very “visual” person myself, I often perceive scents in color, and I think that many of us often if not always mentally “translate” scent into color. The fragrance line that names its scents according to the color they convey was instantly appealing to me.

My favorite among Aroma M fragrances is Geisha Noire. It is said to have aroma-therapeutic properties; it “combats stress, clears the thought processes, undoes the inhibitions, assists in meditation and prayer”. In other words, it is a comfort scent. It has the same soothing, centering, soul-easing effect on me as Angelique Encens or Miyako. Geisha Noire is a warm, “opaque “, perhaps not completely black but definitely very dark black-brown scent, in which amber rules the composition. It is not, however, an amber “soliflore”, a genre I don’t appreciate at all. The note here is brightened by spices, enriched by incense and sandalwood and sweetened by a certain languid, vaguely edible note that I can only describe as smoky honey. Geisha Noire is a leisurely, tranquil, meditative and warm blend, a true delight to wear on a chilly, bleak winter day.

It is available on AromaM.com and Luckyscent.com, $40.00 for a 1/4oz oil roll-on bottle.

19 Comments:

Blogger tmp00 said...

Ooooh-

It's Christmas buying season: I'm going to spending the next three weeks of so reading reviews like these with metaphorical fingers in my ears, saying "la-la-la-I-can't-hear-you", otherwise my friends are going to get fond wishes for the holidays...

12:43 AM EST  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

This one sounds intriguing to me, Marinochka.
The good folk at luckyscent sent me a sample of ?Marron- and I was quite underwhelmed w/ it...
Boring, flat, linear.

Keep warm, and happy...

6:56 AM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

la la la la la la I can't hear you!!!!!

(smile)

I was already eyeballing these...

7:00 AM EST  
Blogger elle said...

I need to retry Geisha Noire. Your review is so beautifully filled w/ key words (tranquil, soothing, centering, soul-easing, languid, leisurely, etc.) that it has me lulled into a state of semi-amnesia where I'm starting to forget that these oils didn't work on my skin before. Wonder if the trance will break before I try them again...

7:48 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Tom,
Nothing like a fond, heartfelt wish from a friend, you know? When asked, people always say that, "oh no, no, I don't need any presents"...I am always tempted to pretend that I believe them and really don't buy anything. :-)

9:31 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Chaya,
I liked Marron as such, but was a little disapointed I didn't get any roasted chestnuts there :-(

9:32 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

*shouts real loud to get through March's and Tom's la-la-la"
You should try this one, March...not that expensive either...well, it is, considering the size...but since this is the only size available for it, it sort of feels inexpensive.

9:39 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
I have trouble with oils. Always. This is one of a very few exceptions. The other two oils that worked for me are Jalaine Patchouli and Vetiver. I really can't think of another one. Wel, OK, Sottile was nice too. Everything else dries down to wet cardboard one me. Expensive oils like Yosh's, cheap etailer stuff, everything.

9:41 AM EST  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

You won't be surprised when I tell you this was a scrubber, will you? LOL...

11:43 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
Actually, we've been liking so many of the same things lately that I would be a little surprised :-)

1:01 PM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love this one! It becomes a wonderful creamy sandalwood on me.

1:06 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Jennifer,
Creamy is a great word to describe it!

1:09 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, a whole line of scents that are affordable, which I have yet to explore! I like the idea of colors and scents, also. This one sounds good. I wore Miyake yesterday and loved it but find it too low on sillage. Would love to find another scent along the same incense-y comfort lines. How's the sillage on this oil, M?

1:22 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

M,
This is not a sillage-monster, but I find it a little more sillage-ful than Miyako.

1:38 PM EST  
Blogger Anna, Fair and True said...

Guess what?! I'm off to our motherland on Thursday for a weekend! You may not have been in St Petersburg but maybe you have some tips anyway, e.g. how to handle the Russians :) I'm going with Peter but he's already there for work so I will be flying there by myself.

1:38 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Anna,
So happy for you and so envious! Peter is beautiful. Have you been there before? How to handle the Russians...be nice to them and they would probably be ncie to you LOL :-)

1:43 PM EST  
Blogger lilybp said...

Late addition--I really like this one too, but for some reason I have not bought a bottle yet. Oh, wait--I am not fantastically wealthy and I can't buy everything! That must be the reason!

10:22 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

...I wish I were fantastically wealthy...

10:23 AM EST  
Blogger Anna, Fair and True said...

I'll take that advice then! :)

2:35 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home