Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Perfume Review: Bogner Wood Woman

I have heard marvelous things about Bogner Wood Woman. It was said to be somewhat similar to the two of my favorite scents, Donna Karan Wenge and Matthew Williamson Incense. It is also unavailable in the States, thus inevitably making it seem all the more appealing. Bogner is a German fashion house established in 1932 and known for its sportswear. Bogner Wood Woman, released in 2003 along with Bogner Wood Man, is one of their recent scent launches. It was created by perfumer Evelyne Boulanger and is described as “a balanced harmony between the strength of dry and vibrant woods and the tender sweetness of vanilla, musk and sandal notes”. The notes of Bogner Wood Woman sound extremely appealing: almond, cinnamon bark, pistachio wood; jasmine, iris, lily of the valley, “milky notes”; vanilla, rosewood, sandalwood, cedar, white musk, almond bark.

It is with much regret that I report, the reality of Bogner Wood Woman on my skin is rather less spectacular. Granted, I am a bois junkie and love my woody scents to be rich and robust, so keep that in mind when reading my complaints of the lack of tenacity and intensity of Bogner Wood Woman. Still…because of all the vanilla, the almond, the jasmine and the iris, the woody notes do not seem to occupy as prominent a position as the name would make us believe. The cedar, the rosewood and the sandalwood are too toned done, too understated. Strong and vibrant woods these are not. There is a vaguest of hints here indeed of the spicy wood scent like Wenge or Williamson’s Incense, buried under the milky-creamy-almondy vanilla accord. It is a hint of what Bogner Wood Woman could have been like if the creators chosen not to dilute the woody notes as much as they did. As it is, Bogner Wood is very wearable, very pleasant and very unremarkable.

It is often available on eBay from European sellers, for about $30.00-40.00.
*The image is from Bognerwood.com.

19 Comments:

Blogger risa said...

hrm... now i'm not sure if i'm intrigued or outright disappointed! however, this is a good assessment and it'll help me walk into any experience with open eyes ;)

11:52 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Risa,
It really will depend on what you are looking for. If you want a feminine, soft woody scent, you might really enjoy BWW. If, like me, you are a "wood junkie", you probably will be disappointed too.
In any case, BWW is smoothly blended and well done.

8:22 AM EST  
Blogger lilybp said...

Agree completely with your disappointment. I got the lotion as well as the scent (they came together), but even together. . . meh. But then I layered them with Wenge as someone on MUA suggested, and THAT was really nice. Try it, you may like it:)

8:27 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
That is a great suggestion, thank you! Wenge is great for layering. The other day I layered it with Safran Troublant and got Matthew Williamson Incense of sorts :-)

8:30 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
Yeah, the lasting power wasn't great, was it?

9:06 AM EST  
Blogger Sexy Sadie said...

I am not in to woody scents, because I find it too masculine.

10:52 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Sadie,
Then you might actually like Bogner Wood Woman. It is soft and feminine.

11:01 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

V,
I am not sure...Do you like Organza Indecence? To me, BWW is like a very, very toned down Organza Indecence, with a much more prominent vanilla note and an addition of an almondy undertone.

12:22 PM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

Well, crossing this one off my list! I'm gonna stick with my secret scent, Bois Sauvage! ;-) heh heh
PS what the heck did you send me, woman?!?! you are nuts

12:54 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Bois Sauvage Har har har

:-)

Did I send you something really offensive? No. 6? :-)

1:00 PM EST  
Blogger katiedid said...

M, I can't somehow picture a toned down Organza Indecence, since I see that one as rather gently comforting and pretty vanillic as it is. It sounds like I might find it sort of milquetoast-y. Too bad, because the description that was NOT yours sounds so inviting, but after reading yours I have this hunch I will simply feel a "lack" in the BWW.

2:15 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Katie,
If you find OI soft and comforting (as I do too), you will probably thank that BWW smells more or less of "nothing".

2:31 PM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

Did 4 today. Re-did #6 because you seemed so surprise. It ... should be illegal.

Fell in love with one and very strong like with another, though.

Have you tried any of mine?

3:09 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
I haven't received yours yet. I am bouncing off the walls in excitement. :-) I want to start testing too.

So, do I understand it right that you loved No.7? Which was the other one your strongly liked? Lemme guess? It was 1, 2 or 4.

3:20 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

V,
Heh, PerfumeBay. Did they finally rectify the problem with your order?

I like origanza Indecence, because the vanilla there does not overwhelm the woods, and also because, although it is a warm, "comfort" scent, it is actually quite "dry", if that makes any sense.

6:54 PM EST  
Blogger Trina said...

C,

Have you sniffed Lily Prune Sublime Vanilla? On me, BWW, SV, and SuL's Vanilla Wood all smell identical: vanilla + cedar. Nice, but nothing really special. And why would I buy BWW or the SuL when Lily Prune is so cheap and cute? LOL!

I saved a decant of my BWW bottle for myself (just in case - you never know!), and gave the bottle away. I have to say I'm glad I'm not alone in being less-than-thrilled with it!

Love,
T

7:18 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

T,
I will find some Lily Prune to sniff. I haven't tried SuL's scent either. I think I saw those Prunes on Scentiments for a very, very good price :-)

7:51 PM EST  
Blogger risa said...

M, now that you've described it as a toned-down OI i know i won't care for it - OI is pretty strong vanilla on my skin and no wood at all. wow. thanks for the detail! that helps!

12:45 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Risa,
My guess is that if you find OI to be heavy on vanilla, you woudl have the same problem with BWW.

9:10 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home