Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Perfume Review: Armani Prive Eau de Jade

Eau de Jade is a part of the Privé Haute Couture Fragrance Collection, which presently also includes Ambre Soie, Bois d’Encens and Pierre de Lune. Eau de Jade was designed “to evoke the clarity and purity that reflects true Armani style.” I agree with the part of description , found on Giorgio Armani Beauty, that describes Eau de Jade as “reminiscent of classic colognes from the 17th century”, but I must respectfully disagree with the part that portrays Eau de Jade as having a “modern twist”.

Eau de Jade is a pleasant, refreshing, very slightly sweet traditional cologne, nothing more, nothing less. It starts as a bracing citrus (bergamot and lemon), develops into a sweeter citrus (bergamot, lemon, orange blossom), and dries down to a rather commonplace vanilla-citrus blend. I find all Armani Privé scents to be rather overpriced, but Eau de Jade is the one least deserving the high price tag. If one is on a market for classic colognes, there are wonderful, reasonably priced Guerlain’s Eaux (Imperial, Eau de Guerlain, Eau de Fleurs de Cedrat and Eau de Coq). If it is the contemporary take on the cologne one is looking for, Christian Dior’s collection of colognes (Bois d’Argent, Cologne Blanche, and Eau Noire) is an excellent example of the classic cologne with a “modern twist”. The three Dior scents are not exactly cheap, but they do come in huge bottles; in fact, when calculated per ounce, the price appears to be more than realistic.

Eau de Jade is available at Saks and at Giorgioarmanibeauty-usa.com , $185.00 for 1,7oz.

17 Comments:

Blogger lilybp said...

I completely agree with you. This is pleasant, but wholly unremarkable. I only have it because we went to Maryland and I was able to score at C-Mart (although the shelves were almost picked dry by the time I got there:)

9:29 AM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

I giggled when I read this. You are right, there are plenty of great colognes out there, for a heckuva lot less money. I can't imagine buying this unless you love the bottle and you got a deep discount. Even at the C-mart thing it was still, what, $90 or so.

9:33 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
I don't think you are missing much, sadly. It is nice, but not $185 for 1,7oz kind of nice :-)

9:38 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Judith,
*wails* I want to live near a C-Mart! I've heard legends about Bond No 9s costing $50 there.

9:39 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
I would pay $65 maximum, and that basically just for the bottle's sake. The scent itself is $30-35 :-)

9:40 AM EST  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

M, I would agree that this is the least interesting of the set, but I do know a few people who adore it. People who otherwise have good taste. So I assume maybe I'm missing something :-)

12:25 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
Maybe we *are* missing something. It certainly is a tasteful scent, just not remarkable enough or much different from what else is out there in that category of scents.

1:00 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
Well said! If they suddenly jacked up the prices on Bois des Iles, I'd still paid for it :-)

I haven't tried Pierre de Lune yet, but it seems to be the most liked.

2:02 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

V,
I thought Cologne Blanche (and Eau Noire, come to think of it) was a real departure from the classic cologne theme.
And, oh yes, the price is not right where Prive scents are concerned.

2:56 PM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

If it makes you feel any better about the C-mart thing, I've been there a few times and they only had the frags once, from a Saks closure (is what they told me).

Mostly it's like a cross between Wal-Mart and a rummage sale. Acrylic socks, anyone? Halloween candy?

3:37 PM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

Although, remembering further, C-mart is how I really hooked up with Patty. I bought two Prives and some Bonds with my Visa and mailed them to someone I didn't know from Adam. And she paid me back, many times over. ;-) Are perfume people great or what?

3:40 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
Thank you, I feel a little better about C-mart now, but just a little.

Perfume people are certainly the best, and Patty is one of the bestest :-)

4:01 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find this perfume completely enchanting. It is one of my absolute favorites, so well made, so transporting, so comforting, too. From my initial sample vial, I couldn't get a complete idea of it, but sprayed from the bottle, it is a different thing altogether and the drydown, for me, is heaven.

5:30 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Laura,
Thank you for pointing out that spraying might make all the difference. I dabbed and that could have been one of the reasons why I wasn't impressed with Eau de Jade. Some scents, especially colognes, do blossom, when sprayed.

9:12 AM EST  
Blogger jgrl said...

I want everyone out there to feel better about whatever they spent or didn't spend for Armani eau de jade. I was in Florence, Italy last spring and being overwhelmed by it all purchased this parfum in a couture clothing store. After I got back to my hotel, I realized after the Euro exchange rate, I paid $320.00 for the experience! I hope I made your day brighter. Stupid ME!

5:22 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to disagree with some of you who dislike the Jade. For me, it is the best Prive scent out there. The Lune is ok, but a bit too powdery for me. I can't stand any of the others. I just got a bottle of the Jade for $135.00 on Ebay (still in the plastic), which was great for me since I was going down to Seattle next week to buy it full price. I have been looking for another "perfect" scent for years, and I am thrilled I was browsing Ebay!! There is just something about it..... I put it on every night before I go to bed so I can fall asleep smelling it. It smells like a fresh, green NW summer (with lime on it!!) I hate being bogged down with heavy, musky scents so for me it's perfect! Isn't it funny how different we all are? :-)

8:21 PM EDT  
Blogger Maria said...

giorgio armani perfume
Any price is too much for one you never wear, and no price is too much for the one you love.

discount perfume

8:14 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home