Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Monday, January 02, 2006

My 2006 Wish List or I Cannot Stop Making Lists

New Releases I Would Like to See in the Coming Year


I would like Frederic Malle to release a woody scent. Dear Monsieur Malle, it is hard to believe there isn’t one already in your perfume line. Tsk tsk, that is a regrettable omission. (Credit for this idea goes to Christina who was the first to notice that there is no woody scent among the Editions de Parfums)

I would like Serge Lutens to come up with a tea scent. Show them how it’s done, Serge. Give us the tea scent that is black, deep and luxurious. I will leave it up to you to come up with a twist. Because I am sure there will be a twist if you decide to do a tea scent.

I would like Bond No. 9 to release a scent-homage to Russian Tea Room. Just because. I guess it would have a tea note, just like Lutens's scent, and some mounthwatering gourmand accords. The bottle would be decorated with Matryoshkas or Gzhel- or Khokhloma-like pattern (I personally would prefer Gzhel, because the bottle would fit so well in my blue and white bedroom :-)). Dear Laurice, as you can see, I have thought of everything, all you have to do is go ahead and produce the scent.


I would like Guerlain to release an incense scent. Something dark, melancholy, tranquil, full of beauty and soul. I know it will be heavenly, I have complete faith in you.


I would like Caron to re-launch Violette Precieuse. Please, that is the only violet scent I like, have mercy, bring it back.


Finally, I want a new amber scent. Parfums Delrae, Lorenzo Villoresi, and Creed, I can’t decide ,which one of you I would like to create it the most. How about all of you dream up a new amber scent for me to love and crave next year.


Already Announced Releases I Look Forward to Trying

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens, with notes of lavender and ashes, this fragrance sounds like it is going to be along the lines of the non-export Encens et Lavande. The latter is the only Lutens scent that I haven't tried, so I am not sure what to expect from Gris Clair.

Eau de Lierre by Diptyque, with notes of ivy and violet leaf, this promises to be too green for my taste, but I love Diptyque and I am definitely going to try the new fragrance when it comes out.

Alamut by Lorenzo Villoresi. All I know about it is that it is going to be an oriental scent, which seems to be named after a mountain fortress that used to be situated south of the Caspian Sea. Still, I am intrigued.

Terre d'Hermes by Hermes, an earthy-woody-"vegetable" scent meant for men. Doesn't Hermes know that the masculine-feminine distinction in perfumery is so very passé?

West Side Stories by Bond No. 9. I know nothing about this one, could not find the list of notes anywhere, but I am looking forward to trying it and undoubtedly admiring its bottle.

And finally ...

My Favorite 2005 Releases

1. Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire or The One With All The Vodka. Inspired by the Tsarist Russia, this is a perfume-excess that manages to be very well blended and extremely enjoyable.

2. Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone. Malone shows how the elegant fruity scent is done and that it is possible to create a fragrance that is dark and transparent all at the same time.

3. Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estee Lauder. Tom Ford's update of Youth Dew is cuddly and warm like the softest cashmere wrap.

4. Rose de Feu by Les Parfums de Rosine. Spicy and elegant new rose scent from one of my favorite fragrance lines. Not as fiery as the name would make us believe, it is still full of oomph and yet is unobtrusive enough to be worn anytime, anywhere.

5. Au Thé Rouge by Bvlgari. Enjoyable black tea scent with red accents. The best of the Bvlgari's tea line, it is slightly smoky, a little woody, and just a tad sweet. Despite being an Eau de Cologne, it lasts quite a long time on my skin.

There were other new fragrances that I thought were quite good, even though some of them are decidedly not my cup of tea. Among them are Bleecker Street by Bond No 9, Brit Gold by Burberry, Gaultier 2 by Jean-Paul Gaultier, Do Son by Diptyque, Josephine by Rance, Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens, Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker, Fleur d'Oranger by L'Artisan, Hypnose by Lancome, Zenzero by i Profumi di Firenze, Carnal Flowers by Frederic Malle, Euphoria by Calvin Klein, Tumulte by Christian Lacroix, and Cast a Spell by Lulu Guinness.

Happy New Year everyone!

*All photos are from Getty Images.

20 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
We are not! :-D Unless it is Rose. Or Heliotrope. Or Iris. Even jasmine and tuberose, if they are done to my taste :-)

10:53 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

:-D We share the affection for rose scents. I *will* eventually own all Les Parfum des Rosine scents (except for maybe Roseberry) :-)

11:07 PM EST  
Blogger marchlion said...

Amen on the Bond and the Guerlain incense! I love incense, and in the Guerlain manner -- wouldn't that be something?! FWIW, I tried the Incense Lavande and on me it was straight Lavande -- like I'd squirted myself with lavender bed linen spray. I passed my tester on to Patty -- not sure if she got anything different from it.

11:07 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Lets start an email campaigne for Guerlain to issue an incense scent. But they can't make it Paris Exclusive!!

As for Encens et Lavande, I don't mind lavender note at all, but coming from Lutens, I would like to see a *twist* to it. :-)

11:09 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
well, I am sure that if Lutens deigned to make a tea scent, it would be the best :-) But, since he hasn't yet, my personal favorites are Commes des Garcons Tea (not Nomad tea, just Tea - dark, smoky brew), L'Artisan The Pour Un Ete (jasmin tea), and the new Bvlgari Au The Rouge (to my nose, black tea with "red" undertones). Of these 3 I have the Bvlgari and would be glad to send you some to try!!! Just shout!

11:02 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
Consider it done (on Wednesday)

12:55 PM EST  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Yes, yes, yes, on almost everything you said. However, if it were up to me Violette Precieuse could remain dead forever...it was one of my absolute worst unsniffed purchases of all time. I almost cried, I detested it so much.

1:17 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
For some reason I thought you might like Violette Precieuse. I am so sorry you didn't like it, but please let Caron re-release it anyway! :-)

1:26 PM EST  
Blogger Tania said...

Amen to re-releasing Violette Précieuse. I have only half a bottle, dammit.

As for one of Malle's perfumer pals making a wood scent, may your wish come true, although as far as I'm concerned Une Rose is practically already there. :)

3:35 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Tania,
You are right! Une Rose *is* almost there bois-wise...but it is absolutely unwearable to me, so they will have to try again :-) Just wood this time, no roses.

3:40 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

V,
Noir Epices is one of my favorite scents. Still, I wish there was another- woodier or purely woody- scent in the collection. I guess something like Lutens's Boisees but not exactly like them *sigh*

5:30 PM EST  
Blogger katiedid said...

Heh, love the title. Good wishes, all of them. It's actually a little surprising to me now that I think about it that SL has no quirky tea scent.

Still waiting for that quiet moment for the Ambre Russe, but surely sooner than later I will have it. How could anyone resist The One with All the Vodka??? Hee.

6:47 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

The One with All the Vodka is Very Irresistible :-P

6:51 PM EST  
Blogger lilybp said...

Happy New Year, M! Wonderful comments and wishes! I too am looking forward to Gris Clair (and BTW, I love Encens et Lavande--not sure what that means for you:) With you, I also love Ambre Russe--but I only managed to snag a little bit--any leads on where to get more?

9:18 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

*gasp* J, where did you snag some Ambre Russe? :-) My only source has been swapping, but even then noone has a lot :-( I also have seen it on ebay, bu the price and shipping were rather "optimistic".

Happy New Year!!

10:08 PM EST  
Blogger lilybp said...

I got just a little (a sample) from a kind swapper; she said she had received it in a swap, but hadn't tried it (no idea why--not an amber fan, I guess), so I have no idea as to its ultimate source. It's gone now (it was soooo good). I think I saw the same listing on Ebay; I admit to being tempted, but "optimistic" is describing the price kindly. I'm hoping it will come here eventually (or that one of the reliable Ebay people (you, for example:) will show up with decants!

9:27 AM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
I promise to give you shout if I get my greedy mitts on a bottle of AR. Please do the same, please, pretty please! :-)

10:04 AM EST  
Blogger lilybp said...

It a deal!:)

3:59 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

One of way or anyther we are gonna get it, I am confident. Obsessed parfumista is a dangerous and smart animal :-D

7:44 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Welcome back!
I would love to see some new leathers too, and I am definitely waiting for Andy Tauer's new scent!

10:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home